"Buffy finds herself at odds with her new roommate and is troubled by a series of disturbing dreams involving a soul-sucking demon."
- So it turns out I do a mean impression of Cher singing "Believe." More on this below.
- This is another episode where on rewatches I try to figure out when the spell started, and when exactly in the narrative Buffy's craycraytiems began due to soul sucking. Did Kathy start last ep? Or wait til now? Did it not start until the first nightmare? Did Kathy not think to start until she realized her dad (or whoever) wanted to drag her back to her dimension? SO MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS ABOUT AN EPISODE I DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT.
- Though I do like that it keeps up the tradition of the series, metaphorizing into Evil Demon real problems, like Worst Roommate Ever problems.
- At least they both seem to hate each other equally? And it's not like only Kathy is insane, but some of her issues with Buffy's behavior are legit. Like: late hours, swiping food.
- "Stitch in time -" // " - catches the worm." YES.
- "Sid the Wily Dairy Gnome." I WANT THIS SPINOFF. Also I wonder if he's friends with the gum gnome. I'm just sayin' ... lot of gnomes for one episode.
- I have to give massive props to Dagney Kerr as Kathy. She's so good at the cheerful passive aggression.
- I don't understand Buffy's jeans ... did she decide her capri length cut was too short and try to lengthen them ... and then not lengthen them enough?
- I do like that it takes a while for their roommie behavior to escalate. At first they're just irritated with each other. But after Kathy's sweater gets ruined when Buffy pushes her into the bushes, and she steals Buffy's, the behavior starts getting more aggressive.
- "You're not having one of those mid-life things, are you?" No, Buffy, that's next season.
- I'm confused. This ep was written by Marti Noxon, but there's no heartbreak or breakups in it.
- Giles. Beautiful wonderful Giles and his beautiful wonderful delivery. "A friend of mine recently acquired an original Gutenberg demonography and it suddenly occurred to me that you've never once asked me what my day's plans were."
- See, Buffy's current gripes about Kathy are her pencil sharpening ways, her music preferences, and her in general anal retentive approach to living. Not yet of the "SHE MUST BE EVIL" ness.
- LOOK HOW BIG BUFFY'S CLOSET IS I HATE HER.
- Seriously, though, Kathy, you just went through Buffy's closet like you were shopping. wtf that's not cool. Taking milk is one thing, taking sweaters is worse.
- Hi Parker! Remember when you were gay on Dawson's Creek? And when you tried to sell an air conditioner to Betty Draper?
- Those dining hall salads look appropriately disgusting.
- His meetcute with Buffy is appropriately meetcute, though. Pretty eyes, soft hair, and charming banter.
- Buffy's face after Parker walks off: "Oh yeah, still got it."
- Buffy's twitchy eye at Kathy. Love it.
- "Don't forget to log those calls." Oh Kathy. Calls from dorm to dorm are free! It's only long distance that you get charged for. Proof she's evil?
- I kind of love that Kathy clearly has a label maker for her food - it's all typed labels - only the eggs handwritten. Bitch be cray.
- But seriously Buffy, don't leave your gum on the side table. That's third grade stuff.
- haha Buffy thinks the worst part of her dream is Kathy. Everyone else votes for blood down her throat. Of course, the truth is, THEY'RE ONE AND THE SAME.
- Oz, deadpanning "Well, I'm a good guesser." I'm gonna miss you, Oz. Stupid Seth Green's stupid movie career.
- Haha and we have definite proof that Buffy is enspelled - rather than seeing the significance that Kathy had the same dream, she's just mad at Kathy for horning in on that too.
- Parker schmoozing Kathy on her music taste is our first clue that he's a womanizer, a Man of Conquests.
- Oh Buffy, that's no way to drink milk. You're gonna vomit it up. And all over your black shirt! That's gonna stank.
- "Well, I'm not saying we'll braid each other's hair ... probably, but" Why do I suspect Oz was one of their favorite characters to write? He's got all the best stuff.
- DAMMIT VERUCA GO AWAY. GO THE FUCK AWAY.
- That shot was so economical. After Veruca we had random army guys.
- "So either you hit her or you did your wacky mime routine for her." DON'T LEAVE US, OZ.
- "On the plus hand, you killed the bench, which was looking shifty." I HATE YOU FOR LEAVING US.
- DAMMIT WILLOW WHY ARE YOU WEARING ANOTHER PINK SWEATER I THOUGHT WE TALKED ABOUT THIS LAST SEASON.
- I had no idea this episode would give me such caps locks feels.
- Seriously, though, while I'm glad Willow tells Giles & Co that Buffy's a bit off her rocker, but like ISN'T THAT ALSO A CLUE THAT SOMETHING MAGICAL IS HAPPENING. Like, she knows Buffy's not like that. And like MAYBE BUFFY'S INTUITION IS RIGHT and Buffy's homicidalness is because of horrible Kathy?
- Oz is so tiny, you guys. So very, very tiny.
- I love that Buffy's reaction to FACE IN HER HANDS is a triumphant "I knew it!" I freaking love it.
- "So I'm borrowing [your soul]"//"Without even asking." Buffy banter at its finest.
- RIP Buffy's sweater.
- I do respect that they're having the same old conversation of "treat me like an adult" but in demonese.
- Heh, nice touch that Dingoes's ONE SONG is playing while Willow moves in, instead of Cher.
- Yeah but also Willow don't eat Buffy's sandwich.
- Man, this roommate. With the Cher and that song.
- I’m really lucky I never had a terrible roommate. Except maybe the one with the 40 year old boyfriend who used to watch me sleep. True story.
- MAN, their dorm rooms are HUGE.
- Ugh, this roommate passive aggressive awkwardness is so passive aggressively awkward – in a roommate way.
- Wow, Buffy’s jeans are horrible (as seen above.)
- This is why I live alone, Buffy.
- Seriously, your dorm room should not be bigger than your room at home.
- Ick. Parker. ICK.
- Oh he’s smooth. He’s smooth, that boy.
- As much as I hate Parker, I’m glad they didn’t push Riley on Buffy right away and that they just let it happen.
- Why isn't Willow equally-bitching about her roommate?
- And did they automatically get a mini-fridge? We had to rent ours.
- Ok, with the whole gum thing? Ew. Buffy can be an equally bad roomie.
- Man, Seth Green is so good as Oz. Too bad he’s Seth McFarlane’s bitch now.
- Why would Kathy reveal her dream? It connects her to the demons…of which she is one.
- CORDELIA MENTION! Even if it’s a bit of a negative one.
- And some of Kathy’s points are really valid. Buffy is an only child. ….for now…. And only children are not used to needing to share.
- Ick. Veruca. I didn’t remember that she’s introduced so early.
- Where did Kathy boil these eggs?
- Why didn’t Willow & Buffy just room together from the beginning? Ah right – cause this episode is awesome.
- Buffy’s “I KNEW IT!” triumph is amazing.
- Why did ripping off her face change her teeth too?
- “So Buffy was right all along”. Yeah…she usually is.
- Hey, no deaths!
- ...although Kathy does get sucked into a hell dimension...so there's that.
- This is the cartoon Daniel made showing his feelings on Zelda's singing of Cher.
|And this is the FB discussion that followed.|
Zelda: It was hard to choose which Oz line, because everything he said was pure gold. "Nobody deserves mime, Buffy."
Daniel: "On the plus side, you killed the bench - which was looking shifty." -Oz. I chose the other one, Z.
You must be subjected to this as well:
- First appearance: Parker, Veruca
- Recurring: Kathy Newman, Random Army Guys
Oz's Hair - red
Dead Humans - 0
Dead Undeads - 0
Giles Unconscious - 0
Giles Cleans His Glasses - 0
Buffy Breaks a Door - 1 (with her body)
Evil Reveal - 1 (Kathy)
Unevil Reveal - 0
Shenanigans Called - 0
Apocalypse Called - 0