Episode 2.17: Passion. Original Airdate 2.24.98
"Angel steps up his torment of Buffy and her friends as Jenny searches for a way to restore his soul."
*Notes from us in 2020: We have retroactively redacted the slur in our 2012 post title and will make sure that we do not use the word in any new posts going forward.*
- It’s cheesy but I kinda like when Angel narrates the episodes.
- No peripheral vision, really? They walked right by Angel killing someone.
- Angel is an excellent artist! Not…what I’m supposed to get from the picture.
- I love how Cordelia continues to be paranoid about her car throughout the entire episode and no one ever corrects her.
- Funny, tongue-in-cheek, reference to the fact that no kids are ever in the library.
- Again, I think they’re being way too hard on Jenny.
- Ok, points to Joyce for noticing something is wrong but she had to spoil it with, “I read all the parenting books.” What are all these parenting books that she’s always spouting on about?
- Aww, Willow’s fish!
- Don’t eat the puppy, Spike! Ruff. Good Dog.
- The Orb of Thesula is pretty.
- In other vamp films, it’s stated that pretty much any religious symbol would work. I wish they incorporated it here and used a Jewish star instead of a cross for Willow’s threshold. But I’m glad, at least, Willow at least mentions that it would bother her dad if he saw it.
- "Sorry Angel, I changed the locks." Fuck yeah moment!
- Oh good, Dru still hasn’t killed the puppy!
- Would a computer really make that much fire?
- The Angelus/Jenny chase is great. Really well choreographed. And great use of the set.
- Also, Jenny :(
- “Sure! Like what would you say?” Oh, Willow. So good with the subtly letting Giles know that his business there is done.
- Ok, I concede. Joyce is being good mom.
- Oh Giles, poor sweet Giles :(
- Angelus is so evil that that he has to not only kill Jenny but see the reaction of those most affected by it. And the smile he gives is so creepy.
- And does Xander have to wear such a ridiculous outfit in this type of episode?
- I think the puppy is growing on Dru!
- Giles is so badass!
- Such a nice scene between Buffy and Giles.
- Weird to end this episode on Willow taking over the teaching. This is something that angers a friend of mine a lot. He says they’d never allow a student to teach a HS class.
- I don't want to - this will make me sad - let's just skip it nooooooooooooooooo.
- OMG they're so innocent and sweet, Willow even has a lolipop, WHY DOES THIS SHOW HATE US.
- I can't even tell if the narration in Passion is good. I never listen to it, honestly. DB's delivery is just so uninflected and dull.
- Also shenanigans Buffy didn't notice the vamp feeding RIGHT NEXT TO HER, even if that was a cool stalking shot.
- Angelus is such a creepy fucktard. But a good artist.
- Look! Giles is stamping books! He's actually pretending to be a librarian. And then he even tells Jonathan where to find books on Stalin.
- Guys, can we take a moment to acknowledge that Danny Strong is now an EMMY WINNER and will be writing the final Hunger Games screenplay? Can we just ... bask in that for a moment?
- "By sneaking in her room and leaving stuff at night? Why doesn't he just slit her throat or strangle her while she's sleeping or cut her heart out? What? I'm trying to help." Good point, Cordy. Calling her own shenanigan there.
- "The more people know the secret, the more it cheapens it for the rest of us!"
- "because otherwise chaos could ensue." I love you Willow.
- "Yes, well, that's one of the unpleasant side effects of betrayal." :(
. I hate Angelus.
- Props to Joyce for reading our Continuity notes and remembering that Angel is "the college boy who's tutoring [Buffy] in history."
- Gawd. He killed her pretty colorful fish. He truly IS diabolical.
- "She's an orphan. Her owner died ... without a fight." PUPPY.
- "We were worried." // "No we weren't." JM always wins at delivery.
- I love that when she finally puts the puppy in his lap, he does start petting it.
|No one can resist a cuddly puppy.|
- "I don't like computers. They give me the willies." Said the guy in the magic shop.
- "Five hours of lesson planning yesterday down the drain." Five HOURS???? On one day's teaching?
- Yay Buffy for looking past her pain and resentment to try and help Jenny and Giles mend, as much as she can. "I don't want him to be lonely. I don't want anyone to."
- Angelus is so creepy. Actually pretty interesting that he seems to be playing into the story Buffy told Joyce, saying he needs to be with her. I wonder what his actual intention was with all this though. I ... am actually not sure. Unless his intention was never to kill Joyce, but just more psychological torture of Buffy, trusting she'd get there in time to save Joyce (since he left the note at Willow's place)? Yes. I'm going with that.
- As soon as Jenny tells Giles she spoke to Buffy, he visibly lightens - maybe there's hope for them yet! Except NOT because Joss hates us.
- So Spike didn't eat Sunshine the Puppy yet. New mascot?
- We're both annoyed by the banter about Angelus being invited to the school. It's not a residence; he'd be fine regardless.
- He is legitimately creepy. And it is legitimately upsetting when he smashes the Orb of Thesula.
- Poor Jenny. I think she knows now she's going to die, even if she'll try her hardest to escape. And I believed she would get away. They always get away on TV. Not in all the horror movies, but on TV. I didn't believe they'd actually kill her, and I continued to not quite believe it, the first time, til Giles found her.
- And he kills her so cruelly, too. Laughing in her face. Doesn't even feed.
- The Talk with Joyce and Buffy ... actually well-handled. And sad. Poor Buffy. Poor sad Buffy.
- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I DON'T WANT TO WATCH THIS SCENE. I want to protect Giles from the sad.
- The music, the lighting, the smash of the glasses, ASH's face as he realizes. It's all so well done and so horrible. So well orchestrated. Angelus is a bastard and I hate him. Can we kill him now?
- And then he goes to watch Buffy find out. Not Giles, but Buffy. Because it's all about her. He's so awful. That little smile.
- Everyone's so good in this episode.
- Beautiful tracking shot through Giles's apartment as he arms himself for his suicide mission.
- I'm just spitballing here, but it looks like Angelus has - AGAIN - killed the beloved daughter of the whatsit tribe. THEY SHOULD CURSE HIM AGAIN.
- "I'm sorry, but let's not forget that I hated Angel long before the rest of you jumped on the bandwagon." Except your hatred was born of jealousy and you're petty. This is the first time the rest of us really hate Angelus I think. Well, for me anyway. Not so much for killing Jenny, but for hurting Giles. NO HURTING GILES.
- Giles wailing on Angelus with fiery torch? Yesthankyoumoreplease.
- Buffy shows up, and Dru calmly wheels Spike out of the way.
- Battle at the factory is pretty badass awesome. All the Buffy/Angel fights are, really.
- Angelus running away from a fight again. He's got a coward's pattern here.
- Buffy's face after she punches Giles. Giles's face. I can't, you guys. It's too sad.
- Oh God and Willow walking into the classroom to take over. She's so sad.
- AND THERE GOES THE DISC.
D: How does [Jenny] have a tombstone so quickly?
Z: Maybe they make 'em really fast in Sunnydale.
Daniel: "You can't leave me. I can't do this alone." - Buffy
Zelda: "Hey, how come Buffy doesn't get a snotty 'once again you boil it down to its simplest form' thing? Watcher's pet." - Xander
- Angelus has permission to enter Buffy's house, Willow's house, Gile's house and Cordy's car. Not anymore though.
- Our first time in a magic shop! Though, as this one is below street level, clearly not OUR magic shop.
- An Orb of Thesula will restore Angel's soul.
- Willow's father's name is Ira. And he's big on the Jewishness.
- Xander does the Snoopy Dance every year at Christmas for Willow.
- Angelus told Joyce he and Buffy slept together.
- First major character death (if you don't count Jesse, which why should you, since NO ONE REMEMBERS HIM) with Jenny.
- The disc with the re-ensoulment spell is hidden in the crack by the desk.
Voiceover - none (unless you count Angelus's episode-long thing)
Dead Humans - 3
Dead Undeads - 0
Dead Fish - 3
Giles Unconscious - 1
Giles Cleans His Glasses - 0
Buffy Breaks a Door - 0
Evil Reveal - 0
Unevil Reveal - 0
Shenanigans Called - 1
Apocalypse Called - 0