Episode 1.12: Expecting. Original Airdate: 1.25.00
“Angel and Wesley search for answers when Cordelia wakes up eight and a half months pregnant.”
- As I said out loud, “Oh this is the fucking pregnancy episode.”
- Wes strolled by to show off his new Bavarian fighting axe, hoping Cordy had a vision, also toting a word puzzle game, and this poor boo is so lonely.
- Oh no, Cordy had a vision.
- Also wow Cordy’s friends are just there to be vampy (well not vampy-vampy, but) and hit on Angel and Wes, and gosh aren’t clichés fun?
- Speaking of clichés, we get the girls making a crack about Angel and Wes being gay.
- I like that Cordy’s able to pass along her vision details and then head out with her friends. Good job Cordelia!
- Also this is great:
- Wesley, yelling at two old folks: WHERE DO YOU LAY YOUR EGGS?
- Ah, shadow fighting. A nice way around special effects.
- Angel says they only just killed the baby. I forget, does mama show up?
- Wes, slutshaming Cordelia’s friends by calling them doxies, until Angel tells him they liked him, and just fuck all this.
- Daniel’s face on realizing Cordelia’s date is baby Ken Marino: too cute.
- Oh hey speaking of punishing women for their sexuality, let’s punish Cordelia for having sex with Ken Marino by making her super preggers.
- Aw Phantom Dennis is here! And he does not want Cordelia getting busy with Ken Marino.
- Heh, she threatens to play the Evita soundtrack. I ... kind of like ... that album?
- Hey look, telling the truth about having a ghost earns her a kiss. Honesty, kids. It’ll get you everywhere. Including getting punished for sex.
- There’s that pregnant belly.
- Good good, the boys have come to her apartment when she didn’t show up to work or answer her messages.
- Well, Wes is snarking but Angel is worried.
- Charisma’s doing a great job with Cordelia’s quiet vulnerability. She’s scared and sad and confused as she insists that the sex she had was “safe, it was all really safe.”
- Cordelia: I’m being punished. // Wes: You’re certainly not being punished. // Me: ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT? CUZ IT KINDA LOOKS LIKE SHE IS.
- I mean, Angel and Wes are saying the right things, but fuck this whole episode. Except for Wes and the axe.
- Hi bartender Josh Randall. Do y’all remember the show Ed about the bowling alley lawyer? I think I liked that show. [I WAS ON THAT SHOW-D] [YOU ARE THE COOLEST-Z]
- “You the boyfriend?” // “No, I’m family.” I do miss when they were family (Spoiler, I was never a Cangel shipper)
- Welp, she’s carrying at least six … somethings in her belly.
- We should have made a drinking game for every time we go to a new set and Daniel declares it to be the Hyperion.
- What the hell is up with the lighting in Serena’s apartment? Even more importantly, GASP Serena is also pregnant!
- Hot damn, the amniotic fluid ate through the linoleum floor.
- And here we get a new twist! Cordelia asks Wes protectively if the six whatevers in her belly looked healthy on the ultrasound.
- Oh there are seven of them. She can tell now and says they’re talking to her. This is some effed up Bella Swan shit.
- “Wesley, they’re not human.” // “I imagine that’s true.” I love their delivery of these lines.
- And there’s Cordelia downing a deli cup of blood.
- Angel uses his enhanced vampire nostrils to determine that Wilson is human and therefore not the father of her demon spawn. So who’s the daddy?
- And Cordelia whacks Wes twice in the head with the ancient demon tome, and why don’t we have a Wes Gets Knocked Unconscious stat?
- Ken Marino confidently shoots Angel three times in the gut. Angel, in vampface, “I really don’t like it when people shoot me”
- And here we are at Definitely Not the Old Factory from Buffy S2, Cordelia and her two pregnant friends and like three other rando pregnant ladies for a gestation party.
- Angel, digging bullets out of his belly while on a payphone.
- I love that even in this grouping, Cordelia is queen
- Wow, this shot is such Peter Jackson trickery of size.
|Very Large Demon.|
- Cordelia’s really good at getting final killing strokes in. She took out Barney before, and now she shatters the nitrogen frozen demon babydaddy.
- “I learned men are evil. Oh, wait I knew that. I learned that LA is full of self-serving phonies. No, had that one down, too … sex is bad?” // Angel: “We all know that.”
- “I learned that I have two people I trust absolutely with my life. And that part’s new.”
- Neither of us are looking forward to this episode.
- Cordelia is going out with her pretty model friends.
- And they’re both crushing on Wesley & Angel.
- “The good ones are always gay.” Eye-roll.
- Hey Ken Marino? Has anyone seen Medical Police on Netflix yet? Ken Marino reprises his role from Children’s Hospital – but also, when we first see him, he’s just in a towel and, damn, man.
- Wow, he’s so young! What a babe, too, wow.
|Look at that chin dimple|
- And a charmer, too.
- Cordelia says she’s talking too much about herself. And normally, I’d say, sure – classic Cordy – but I’m sure she left a lot out.
- Oh phantom Dennis trying to ruin Cordelia’s date.
- Cordelia’s like 8 months pregnant! After one night of sex! Sex is bad, kids!
- And only the first time Cordelia’s been supernaturally pregnant.
- Hey, look at all that direct sunlight coming into the room.
- Aww Phantom Dennis is so sweet, floating tissues over to her.
- Oh man, the ultrasound reveals 6 (or more) heartbeats.
- Serena, you shouldn’t drink when you’re pregnant…with a litter of demon babies…
- Wow, so Cordy has acid inside of her….that’s a thing. Good visual effect on the acid on the floor, though.
- Where did Cordelia get maternity clothes already? Did she just already have big overalls? [Did she borrow Buffy's overalls of sadness? No, she's too tall to wear SMG's clothes ... -Z]
- Charisma’s doing some great work here – the slow descent into madness.
- Eww, Cordelia’s drinking blood.
- Me in the middle of the night.:
- So all these bros find women without families to get them pregnant with demon spawn. Just bros being bros.
- This bit of it is interesting. The babies form a psychic connection that kind of possesses the mom.
- Relic from an older time: A phonebooth!
- Wesley is so British and Alexis, as an American, does a really amazing job.
Angel: Featured word: Ass.
D, speaking the words in Z’s heart: I want that to be our title but we’d get too many bad hits.
Zelda: I like to get to know my opponents, before I engage them in mortal combat. Do you have any hobbies? - Wes
Daniel: I learned that I have two people I trust absolutely with my life - Cordelia
Recurring: Phantom Dennis
Generally Known TV Face: Ken Marino (VINNIE VAN LOWE!), Josh Randall
Cordelia’s Hair – windblown curls
Dead Humans – 0
Dead Undeads – 2 (and 42 fatal fetal demons)
Dead Flashbacks – 0
Dead Lawyers – 0
Cordelia Has a Vision – 1
Wesley Prat-falls – 1
Lawyered Ex Machina – 0
Evil Reveal – 0
Unevil Reveal – 0
Shenanigans Called – 0
Apocalypse Called – 0
Prophecy Called – 0