PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SPOILER-RICH ZONE

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SPOILER-RICH ZONE. If your diet requires you to dine on television spoiler-free ... good luck with that.

REVIEW ARCHIVES

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

M'Cookies

Episode 6.4: Flooded. Original Airdate 10.16.01   


"Buffy's life is further complicated by mounting financial problems, a flooded basement, and a warrior demon out for her blood."




Zelda's Thoughts:


  • Buffy tightens one pipe. Water bursts out of every available space, two founts pointing directly at Dawn on the stairs. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
  • Ok so here we begin the inconsistent characterization of Buffy's depression. Here she's sending out a fair amount of dark humor, alternating with trancing out. I'm not saying that's not believable, but it gives the audience the impression that she's closer to recovery than she is.
  • I actually forgot we ever meet Tito. I thought he was just Xander's imaginary friend.
  • Hey so um. How come Tara and Willow aren't helping with finances? Or getting jobs? Or contributing in any way to household expenses. Asking for an extremely outraged ME.
  • "Plus, fire? Pretty."
  • "It's not like it's the end of the world. Which is too bad, you know, 'cause that, I'm really good at."
  • Bless you Anya. Bless you so much. You're actually trying to help with the finances with your mathy skills, and proposing solutions.
  • Dawn's wearing another number shirt. 2 this time. *shrugs, wanders away*
  • So they're all outraged at the thought of Buffy charging money for slaying vamps, saving lives, but ... it's obeekaybee for Angel to do it? Fuck all of this. Fuck the way Anya is laughed out of the house for her suggestion.
  • "Kind of a forever deal." // "Not if you never get started." FORESHADOWING
  • You go, Buffy! You snark and slay!
  • The demons are stealing the money. Don't tell Anya.
  • So um why is Buffy training in the dark? Asking for a me again.
  • MT is annoying me again. Send her away.
  • GILES IS BACK. GILES IS BACK.
  • "You're ..." // "A miracle." // "Yes. But then, I always thought so." I'M FINE, IT'S JUST RAINING ON MY FACE.
  • Hey so, remember how Buffy got Giles's salary reinstated? Howsabout the Council start paying her? I get that like it hasn't been an issue in the past because Slayers die young and also women aren't really people (right? that's how this works?), or Slaying is "women's work" and a sacred duty but not an actual vocation and therefore doesn't get paid, whereas Watching does ... SERIOUSLY WHY THE FUCK DOESN'T THE COUNCIL PAY BUFFY.
  • Siiiiiiiiigh. The Trio. Like I like the idea, and I like all three performers, but also they rather outstay their welcome.
  • Yeah notice how Warren is way more willing to kill Buffy? Can we just kill him now? Please? Before he kills Tara?
  • Oooh it's rank arrogant amateur time.
  • Wow, way to skate right past making Buffy claw her way out of her grave, Willow.
  • "Out of everyone here, you were the one I trusted most to respect the forces of nature."
  • "There are others in this world that can do what you did. You just don't want to meet them" // "No, probably not, but, well, they're the bad guys. I'm not a bad guy." God, this conversation sets up SO MUCH.
  • "I wasn't lucky, I was amazing." // "You are lucky to be alive, you rank, arrogant amateur." // "You're right. The magicks I used are very powerful. I'm very powerful. And maybe it's not such a good idea for you to piss me off." Shit you guys. And Willow again skates right past the moment when she THREATENS GILES like wtaf that is horrifying. The warning signs were all there that she was the new Big Bad, you guys.
  • Dawn's wearing 65. I feel like I should be tracking this but also I don't want to.
  • Buffy called the demon a mook. I love it. Can we bring back mook?
  • "No. More. Full. Copper. Repipe." This is my sister's favorite line in the ep.
  • Ugh. Casual rapey jokes about hypnotizing Buffy into being their sex slave. Die in a fire, Trio.
  • Man, why did Tony Head have to move back to England? What would this season have been if Giles hadn't left?
  • Oh right. Angel.
  • "Of course, you'll leave for LA tomorrow." // "Not LA. And not here. Somewhere in the middle. There's a place." A place ... neither UPN nor WB but some other channel where Buffy and Angel syndicate in complete freedom ... a place called ... FX (S6 was the year FX started airing two hours of Buffy every evening and I caught up with the whole series in time to watch the second half of the season live on TV)


Daniel's Thoughts:



  • Buffy basement.  Fighting Mr. Drippy.  She fixes one leak and the basement explodes with water.  I don’t think that’s how it works.
  • Why is Buffy just staring at the water?
  • They keep calling it IN-surance.
  • I like Anya’s enthusiasm for her idea of Buffy charging money for slaying vampires.
  • And I hate that everyone’s so dismissive of it. And Jesus, Xander – you can’t ever be on Anya’s side?  It’s really gross.  Willow’s face is the worst.  Shut up, Willow.
  • And hey, Angel does it.  He charged.  Sometimes. 
  • It’s nice when Xander spouts these platitudes about love.  He says it a lot, but he never backs it up.
  • Also, Willow and Tara, you live here.  Why aren’t you chipping in?  Get a job.
  • “When are you going to grow up Xander?”  Never, Anya, Never.
  • Neat jacket, demon fish guy.
  • Anya’s idea doesn’t seem so dumb, now, does it?
  • “Will.  What the hell are you doing?” “Pissing you off.” “Yes, true. Why?” 
  • I don’t get Dawn not being able to do research.  Buffy and co were about 15 when they started.  Besides, it’s just research.  She should be prepared.
  • Giles!
  • Again with the Anya hug.  Love it. Her hugs are so genuine; so amazing.
  • Ugh, the trio.  They’re really laughing about their friend’s potential death?  These guys…
  • See, Jonathan never read evil before. He made some mistakes, but he didn’t revel in other peoples’ misfortune.  When did Jonathan become such a creep?
  • Ugh, the way they talk:


  • I mean, it’s weird that Willow wouldn’t know how Giles would react.  But her reaction on top of that.  She’s changed, probably the most, out of all the Buffy characters.  She’s more than new confident Willow.  She’s, as Giles puts it, arrogant.  And she's been that way for a while.
  • I  love how Buffy’s trying to protect the house while fighting the demon.  That’s the cross -genre Buffy I love.
  • They’re just gross, the trio.
  • See, Anya’s so nice about it. She’s patiently explaining Buffy’s finances to her.  Does she ever get thanked? No.
  • And a phonecall from Angel…

 Crossfire:




Crossfire 2:

Anya: *makes valid suggestions and actually sits down with Buffy to try to help her with her finances*
Willow & Tara: *stares blankly at Buffy expecting her to do and come up with everything,* *Also criticizes Anya for her suggestions* *Lives in house rent free and does absolutely nothing to help out*
Dawn:  *Actually yells at Anya for helping.  Also, does nothing whatsoever to help.*
Zelda & Daniel:
Jon Stewart came back from retirement to call
SHENANIGANS!



Favorite Lines:
Zelda: "Having Buffy back in the world makes me feel ... indescribably wonderful, but I wouldn't congratulate you if you jumped off a cliff and happened to survive." - Giles
Daniel: "No, no. Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat. I smell Captain Fear at the wheel." - Anya

Arc/Continuity Stuff:

  • Recurring: Tara, Warren, Jonathan
  • First appearance: Tito (in the flesh!), Andrew
  • Anya and Xander's engagement is still a secret.
  • Shoutout to Tucker and his Prom night devil dogs, as well as to Jonathan's and Warren's past exploits.


Stats:
Anya's Hair - long blonde, chunky waves
Dead Humans - 0
Dead Undeads - 1
Dead Flashbacks - 0
Giles Unconscious - 1
Giles Cleans His Glasses - 1
Buffy Breaks a Door - 0
Evil Reveal - 0
Unevil Reveal - 0
Shenanigans Called - 1
Apocalypse Called - 0


2 comments:

  1. Yay! I've caught up. I started reading your blog a few days ago and have finally got to here. Everyone in the house has been sick, so there's been a lot of lazing about in bed doing not-much-at-all.

    And can I say? You guys are awesome! (Well, I just did, so I guess I answered my own question. Lol)

    My husband bought me the complete series on DVD for Mother's Day this year (10th May). We're up to Into the Woods. Yay for no more Riley... So, we'll be caught up to where you are soon.

    Looking forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete