PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SPOILER-RICH ZONE

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SPOILER-RICH ZONE. If your diet requires you to dine on television spoiler-free ... good luck with that.

REVIEW ARCHIVES

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

We Are As Gods

Episode 7.16: Storyteller. Original Airdate 2.25.03 


"Andrew creates a documentary called 'Buffy, Slayer of the Vampyres,' a record of the current situation in Sunnydale to show to future generations. He manages to capture many important moments, and to annoy almost everyone in the house. But Buffy needs to tear him away from his filmmaking because the Seal of Danzalthar is active and Andrew may hold the key to closing it before it destroys the town."

Zelda's Thoughts: 


  • I remember when this first aired, just being so done with Andrew (not Tom Lenk, he's adorable), and irritated that he now had his own episode, and it marred my ability to enjoy it. Let's see if that changes on this rewatch.
  • Tom Lenk remains adorable.
  • Aw, a good old fashioned slay in the graveyard.
  • I do like the contrast of Andrew's handheld camera and the fancy crane shot of Andrew and Buffy in the graveyard, to show off they actually went on location this time. 

Look! We have a budget!

  • Seriously, Spike. Don't smoke indoors.
  • Of course Spike is shirtless in Andrew's imaginary character intro.
  • "If we save the world, it will be kind of nice to have a record of it." She has a point? It's just ... this is annoying.
  • Though Buffy seems angrier than she needs to be about it? It feels contrivancey in order to lead her into another speech.
  • Aww you guys it's Jonathan! Ugh, and Warren.
  • "In my plan, we are beltless."
  • I do enjoy the fake mad scientist scene.
  • And um the fake flashback of fighting off Dark!Willow is a cute re-edit. "I deflect thy power." // "Damn, that is one effective counter spell."



  • Oops the Hellmouth is extra super Hellmouthy with its metaphors and violent student manifestations.
  • DB WOODSIDE SO GOOD. He's charming even when concussed.
  • okay but why the dumb jokes when a kid's head literally exploded? why are we being blase about this?
  • "Dawn used to be a key. I don't really know what that means."



  • I was annoyed at Spike's artificial broody guy outrage at Andrew's camera, but it probably does fit in with the fact that his entire street tough persona was manufactured over the years.
  • One good thing achieved in this episode is Xander and Anya finally having a frank conversation about their relationship. [Amen. - D]
  • You know, in prep for when THEY KILL HER. [Right...-D]
  • Oh look. A bunch of possessed children opening the Seal with chanting>
  • You guys my keyboard is completely possessed> this is interesting
  • I'm not even kidding. Complete possession. My notes for the rest of this episode may be distracted.
  • Andrew's detached journalist line is giving me Rent flashbacks. FOR SOMEONE WHO LONGS FOR A COMMUNITY OF HIS OWN, WHO'S WITH HIS CAMERA ALONE. I'LL CALL. I HATE THE FALL.
  • I warned you. Possessed. Ask Daniel, I was flipping out. [It was.  She was. -D]
  • Okay so the First's plan was to give both Andrew and Jonathan scary dreams in order to convince them both to go back to Sunnydale so that Andrew could stab Jonathan over the Seal? That's elaborate and yet stupid? Like there had to have been an easier way. I mean, The First is a bad planner, we know that. But like. I just.
  • Oh god I forgot the We Are As Gods bit was this episode. I mean, when else would it be? 

  • They don't have any steak knives? Did Hank get the knives in the divorce?
  • Andrew ships Spike and Wood. I mean, the fic basically writes itself. By which I mean, Andrew probably wrote it already.
  • Principal Wood kicking the crap out of students. Still a better principal than Snyder.
  • I think the possession has left my keyboard. Maybe it showed proper remorse and cried into the Seal of Danzalthar. #topical
  • I hate Warren but Adam Busch is still funny. "If you fail, you'll die a lost soul and I'll hate you forever!"
  • Ew ew ew the students have been Bringer-fied. Does this mean we're allowed to kill them?
  • Xander and Anya had sex in Spike's bed. His enhanced vampire smelling is gonna luuuuuuuuuuuv that.
  • Wood is making sure not to use the pointy nail side of the wood beam on the students. See? I told you he's a waaaaay better principal than Snyder.
  • I guess we're not allowed to kill the student Bringers. But RIP their eyeballs.
  • It shows how little Andrew understands Buffy, that he thinks she would kill a human.
  • "Stop! Stop telling stories. Life isn't a story ... You always do this. You make everything into a story so no one's responsible for anything because they're just following a script."
  • "I don't like having to give a bunch of speeches about how we're all gonna live, because we won't." Is that ... the kind of speech you think you've been making lately, Buffy? Though this speech is better than the Everyone Sucks But Me variety we had earlier. [Amen. -Anya]
  • And like in Rapunzel, tears heal everything. That's two fairy tales this season, if you count The Killer in Me as a real episode that happened.
  • Yeah I still don't really have much investment with Andrew's emotional journey this episode. I mean it's good he's finally taking things seriously I guess? idk


Daniel's Thoughts:



  • I’m not sure how I’m going to feel about this episode.  I remember moments of liking the humor and moments of being enraged that we have an Andrew-centric episode when he’s dominated the show enough – and taken lines/scenes (imo, of course) away from Anya.  So let’s start, shall we?
  • So I do love his version of masterpiece theater with comics and Star Trek stuff around.
  • So this is all his imaginationish…so in his imagination, he’s smoking a pipe and choking on it?  K.
  • Why is he pronouncing it like that?  Vamp-YRES.
  • Why can’t you just masturbate like the rest of us?   Hehe.  But also, why are they dressing and hairstyling Anya like your grandmother in that world war II picture you have on the mantle?


  • Again, I have to point out that as much as I hate Andrew, I really like Tom Lenk’s portrayal of him.  He really encompasses Andrew’s awkwardness well.
  • Why is Xander the heart of the gang? [There was this one time he joined his essence with the Slayer ... - Z]
  • SPIKE.  STOP SMOKING. ONLY EVIL PEOPLE SMOKE.
  • Raisin Bran…I’ll put it on the list….who are they getting funded from again?
  • Spike is shirtless in Andrew’s fantasy.  Ahem, Angel writers.
  • Anya eating grapes in slow motion is amazing tho.
  • Is this where the writers realized the Buffy speeches have gotten a little tiresome and repetitive?
  • Hey, it’s another Marcie.
  • “The mirror said I was fat” lol.
  • So I mean, here’s the thing about this episode…all the laughs, but actual HS students’ heads exploding?  I kinda just don’t want to laugh at that.  “Really shoulda had that foot rub…”  Yeah, too glib, Buffy.
  • “We still spark.  You still love me.”  Awww.  Again, at this point on first watch, I had hope that these two would have a happy ending.  How naïve I was.
  • “You’ve all been evil at some point.”  Heh, true.
  • I don’t really understand what Spike is doing here.  Why is he “acting” for the camera?  Again, it’s funny – but to what end? What purpose?  How does this represent anything that Spike is about?  Where’s the motivation?
  • So it’s nice that Anya & Xander are having this conversation but where will it go?  Nowhere.  I kinda like that Andrew ships it hardcore though.
  • Jonathan: “I wasn’t even that evil.”  See, that’s kinda why I wished Jonathan survived instead of Andrew.  I think his repentance would have meant more.
  • Zima. Total 2000s reference. 
How about a nice refreshing Zima?


  • “Stop going off topic”  - 2000s chatroom reference?
  • The whole “we are as gods” thing.  I….feel for these poor actors who had to do that.  Although I do remember some outtakes from that which were pretty hilarious.
  • Buffy: “I’m not losing any more territory to the first…”  Or…students?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Oh here’s one: “Spike, don’t kill them.  They’re just students.” – Finally…
  • Poor Jonathan – keeps getting stabbed over and over.
  • Again, making light of killing a guy.  This is why I can’t take Andrew seriously – why he doesn’t work for me as a character.  Especially a character that *spoilers* makes it to the end.
  • Xander and Anya naked in bed together is kinda reminiscent of their first time.
  • “I think maybe we’re really over.”  Whether they mean it or not, I’m glad Anya’s the one who said it.  And well…I guess at least there’s closure?
  • “You make everything into a story so that no one's responsible for anything because they're just following a script." Yep, that’s Andrew’s entire arc there.
  • I mean, this is where Andrew admits that he killed Jonathan knowing that it was the First that was telling him to.  So this is his last ep right? This is when Buffy kicks him out or where Andrew realizes he needs to truly make amends and get out of there right?  Nope.  He stays and continues to be Andrew, I guess.   I guess…
  • I wonder what happened to those bringer students...when the possession wears off....are they still blind? Are we gonna...revisit...no? Let it go? Okay.

Crossfire!

Anya: Why can't you just masturbate like the rest of us?
Z: I'm not making that the title.
D: Haha no.
Z: We'd get blocked at work.
D: But I might make it my favorite line:

Favorite Lines:
Zelda: 

Daniel: Anya: You've been in here 30 minutes. What are you doing?
Andrew: Entertaining and educating.
Anya: Why can't you just masturbate like the rest of us?


Arc/Continuity Stuff:

  • Recurring: Andrew, Potentials, Andrew's Big Board, Jonathan, Warren, Principal Wood, Seal of Danzalthar, the pig Andrew couldn't kill, The First (as Warren)
  • Shoutouts to: Marcie with the disappearing girl,swim team sea monsters and killer prom dogs (Andrew's brother!), Hell's Bells, Dawn being a key

Stats:

Anya's Hair - honey blonde, curled at the bottom
Dead Humans - 1
Dead Undeads - 2
Dead Flashbacks - 2 ["Hey, I died twice." - Jonathan]
Dead Potentials - 0
Buffy Breaks a Door - 0
Buffy Makes a Speech - 2
Evil Reveal - 0
Unevil Reveal - 0
Shenanigans Called - 0
Apocalypse Called - 0


2 comments:

  1. Tom Lenk seems like a nice guy and pretty funny but a world of no to Andrew and this episode. Some parts made me laugh but I mostly just get annoyed with Andrew still being there. It was honestly more annoying then when they kept Spike alive during Season 4...and this season. This entire season is such a mess and I actually thought it started off really well. Such wasted potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's do a round of shots to wasted potential and its always appropriate punnage!

      Delete