PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SPOILER-RICH ZONE

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SPOILER-RICH ZONE. If your diet requires you to dine on television spoiler-free ... good luck with that.

REVIEW ARCHIVES

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Falafels and Fellini

Episode 1.11: Silence of the Lamb. Original Airdate 1.4.05

"After setting up a new business helping classmates dig up dirt on their parents, Veronica uncovers a huge revelation about her friend Mac, which leaves her wondering if some things about your family are best left unknown. Meanwhile, Keith must team up with Sheriff Lamb to track down a serial killer in Neptune."


Daniel's Thoughts:

  • “E-string strangler” – that’s an amazing moniker.
  • Wow!  Neptune High has an actual hot dog stand in the dining area outside.   That’s why Wallace always has hot dogs.
WHAT KIND OF H.S. HAS A HOT DOG STAND?

  • Also, some of the students have so much money that they hire a violinists to play for their birthd-  nah, this is just too weird to even talk about.
  • Haha.  Veronica is making bank digging up dirt on parents.  That’s awesome.
  • DEPUTY LEO.  DEPUTY LEO. DEPUTY LEO.
  • And hey! Mac is back.
  • “I don’t think it’s  an exaggeration to say we'd rule the entire known universe.”
  • Switched at Birth.  It’s like that tv show.  I think it’s called: “I have your daughter. I have yours, too.”
  • “Do you know where I can find this ‘Devil Dave’?”  How’d he get to be the Sheriff?  Oh yeah.
  • Hey, all of Mac’s family is blonde!  Oooh.
  • Mac’s real name is Cindy.
  • Hmmm, who else has a birthday around this time?  Good thing it was mentioned earlier.
  • VERONICA MEETS DEPUTY LEO.  OMG, HE’S SO ADORKABLE.
  • “Oh my, Deputy Leo.”  INDEED.
  • Yay! It’s Aaron Paul! He’s playing a total sleaze.
  • I love how horrified Madison is to see three nerds her party. Unless it's, ya know, because she knows who Mac really is.
  • And Mac meets her real sister.  It’s so sweet and so sad and so complicated.
  • Max Greenfield’s smile – it’s  just.  *melt*
How does he DO that?

  • Weevil helping Veronica out is amazing.  This rambling string of non-coherence is just fantastic. “Heavy metal music!”
  • “I don’t see how my age has anything to do with this.” “Then you’re not reading my mind.”  I love him so much.  He’s just….as Leo, he doesn’t stop smiling ever. I think his face is stuck that way and that’s totally okay.
  • “A cop that rocks, what’ll they think of next?”
  • I’m glad Aaron Paul went on to be famous.  He could have had a career as a ‘one guest star at a time’ guy – but it only took that one job – Breaking Bad – to elevate his stardom.
  • And I will be one of his characters for HALLOWEEN TODAY - I'm gonna be Todd from Bojack Horseman
HOORAY!

  • You can see the yearning in Mac’s real mom’s face.  It’s super sad.
  • It’s strange we’ve had several scenes in a row without Veronica.  That’s abnormal for this show.
  • Aww, Veronica is seeing Deputy Leo’s band practice. 
  • Aww!  Deputy Leo saved Keith’s life!  (This is my AWW DEPUTY LEO EPISODE).
  • So Mac decides to stay in her own life….  Let’s see how this affects Mac’s character growth at all…


Zelda's Thoughts:

  • Time for the show to be like Aaron Echolls got stabbed? Doesn't ring a bell ... Check back with me next week.
  • I guess it makes sense, this episode aired in January. Had they aired in their intended order, the Christmas episode would have aired after New Year's and WE CANNOT HAVE THAT.
  • "I prefer the biker bar by the train station. I get more attention there." I love Veronica snark.
  • "I hear you do detective stuff for people." // "I do favors for friends." // "I can pay." // "Sit down, friend."
  • Madison Sinclair's parents hired a string set to play music at lunch time. How ... weird?
  • Veronica offers Deputy Lamb a banana. You see the joke is, he's a monkey.
  • I want a banana now. You see the joke is, I'm a human.
  • Aw Deputy Leo! Hi Deputy Leo!
  • "Except for the asphyxiation, the imprisonment, the body disposal, these cases have a lot in common."
  • MAC! IT'S MAC, YOU GUYS. I LOVE MAC. STAY FOREVER, MAC.
  • I love that Mac has figured out a way to better organize Veronica's new side business of digging up dirt on parents, complete with flash website.
  • Aw Veronica's using microfiche. I remember microfiche. I remember how important a part of our education it was, making sure we knew all the ways to research things. RIP, pre-internet research.
Kids, this is how we used to have to look up archived
 newspaper articles.

  • Seeeee Mac's front door has a Christmas wreath on it - more evidence this was meant to air pre-Christmas.
  • I love that Mac has a fireplace in her room and has filled it with books. I LOVE MAC.
  • GASP MAC WAS SWITCHED WITH MADISON SINCLAIR.
  • Douchebag "Wouldn't mind having her call me daddy." Sorry, douche, that's only Keith and MAYBE Jake.
  • Man, I have such mixed feelings about Veronica and Deputy Leo. They're cute, and I love Max Greenfield (though he talks like he's got marbles in his mouth on this show), but I can't get past a man in law enforcement whom we're supposed to suspect is an honorable soul, entering into a relationship with a minor, even though we know they don't have sex.
  • IT'S AARON PAUL HI AARON PAUL.
  • haha Madison's face falling when Veronica, Wallace, and Mac appear. And they scream HEY HAPPY BIRTHDAY as if they're friends. It's so cute and I love our babies.
the best

  • Oh man, Mac meeting her secret real sister. *hugs them* SHE'S READING THE WESTING GAME, SHE HAS GOOD TASTE.
  • Oh man I just realized they left Wallace at the party. That's kind of cold.
  • "I know, I'm shameless. But every time I start to feel guilty, I remind myself that Lilly would be thinking about colleges right now, or what new CD played at maximum volume would most annoy her mother, and I remember my mission." At least we're acknowledging this is mean to Deputy Leo.
  • I CAN'T UNDERSTAND A WORD YOU'RE SAYING, DEPUTY LEO.
  • Yesssssssss Weevil is part of the scheme! I love Weevil. 
  • "Good evening, Mr. Weevil, is there anything we can do for you?" This is so cute I cannot. Mr. Weevil.
  • Okay, good, at least Deputy Leo is like oh shit you're 17. Good. GOOD. 
  • "A cop that rocks? What will they think of next?"
  • Look at all those beautiful colored pencils on Veronica's desk! Why? It's pretty, but why?
  • "I say we play to our strengths?" // "So I'm good cop?" Keith mocking Lamb, always good.
  • Aaron Paul with your pretty blue eyes, you haven't even been destroyed by Walter White yet.
so innocent

  • Yay Veronica's asked Mac for more tech expertise. Let's make Mac Hacks a regular thing. I JUST LOVE MAC, OKAY.
  • Also Tina Majorino is so good.
  • Great casting with Madison's "mom" - she looks so much like Mac. And her face as she realizes who Mac is. MY HEART.
  • And their conversation is so loaded with things they can't say.
  • Oh, Mac really did leave her bag behind at Madison's party. I assumed it was a lie. I'm too used to Veronica and her schemes.
  • Keith in his trench coat is looking full on Marlowe P.I., it's great.
  • YAAAAAAY KEITH TO THE RESCUE. He found the latest abducted girl before she could be murdered.
  • And Deputy Leo stopped the bad guy before he hurt our dad.
  • "You know ... saving the life of a gal's dad ... smooth."
  • Oops but Leo got suspended because Veronica stole evidence while Weevil distracted him. I guess I should be impressed Lamb noticed? Poor Deputy Leo.
  • "Same old story ... Girl uses boy. Girl falls for boy. Boy saves girl's dad's life. Girl gets what she deserves." That's ... the same old story? Veronica needs to read different stories.
  • GASP Clarence Wiedman called in the tip about Abel Koontz!
  • Wonderful face acting from Mrs. Sinclair as she and Mac stare at each other through the car window.
  • Heh, Veronica telling Wiedman she's onto him by taking her own stalker photos. Girl's got balls.
  • Complete sidebar of a thing that occurred to me last week: so you know how the show likes to use somewhat heightened names? or at least names that point to another frame, like the Mars family living in Neptune, or the Knight/Rook/Bishop characters in "Mars vs Mars" later this season. So I only just noticed that the patsy set up to take the fall for Lilly's murder was Abel - sacrificed by the Kanes. Cain/Abel you guys. I hope I'm not the only one who didn't notice that.



Favorite Lines:

Daniel: “I don’t think it’s  an exaggeration to say we'd will rule the entire known universe.” - Mac
Zelda: "I'll bet that if my zip code ended in 0909, you'd have a patrol car swinging by the house every ten minutes, 'Good evening, Mr. Weevil, is there anything we can do for you?' That kind of service." - Mr. Weevil

Arc/Continuity:

Neptune Roll Call: Wallace, Weevil (Absent: Duncan, Logan)
First Appearance: Deputy Leo D'Amato
Recurring: Madison Sinclair, Sheriff Don Lamb, Veronica's "Office," Deputy Jerry Sacks, Mac Mackenzie, Clarence Wiedman
Future Famous Person: Max Greenfield, Aaron Paul. Aaron Paul, you guys.


Stats:
Dead Humans - 0 (yes, there are dead women in the case, but we don't have eyes on the corpses)
Backup Sighting - 0
Veronica Breaks In - 1
Veronica Tases Someone - 0
Mac Hacks - 1
Who's Your Daddy? - 0
Wallace Does Veronica a Favor - 0
Weevil Does Veronica a Favor - 1
Veronica Wants a Pony - 0
Logan Punches Someone - 0
Dick's Single Entendres - 0
Shenanigans Called - 0
VERONICA WAS RIGHT - 0
VERONICA WAS WRONG - 0

1 comment:

  1. I love this episode, the silent interaction between Mac and her real mum break my heart every time.

    ReplyDelete