PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SPOILER-RICH ZONE

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SPOILER-RICH ZONE. If your diet requires you to dine on television spoiler-free ... good luck with that.

REVIEW ARCHIVES

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I don't get it. What is it, avant-garde?

Episode 1.9: The Puppet Show. Original Airdate 5.5.97 

    "The dummy slayer? There's nothing funny about that."

"Buffy suspects that a ventriloquist's dummy may be harvesting organs from classmates performing in a talent show."










Daniel's Thoughts:
  • I like that this is basically an old cliche Twilight Zone-type episode with a new twist.
  • And there are so many suspects you really can't tell who the culprit is until the end.
  • DUMMIES ARE SCARY!
  • I love Giles' face when he's watching Cordelia sing.
Buffy:  Uuuhhh. They give me the wig. Ever since I was little.
Willow:  What happened?
Buffy:  I saw a dummy. It gave me the wig. There really wasn't a story
there.  (HEE!)
  • Snyder is introduced in this episode and he is AWESOME. So many great lines.
  • Giving Joyce a break this episode - she's actually being a supportive mom for a change.
  • I love Giles' Mr. Rogers type sweater. This is his way of being casual.
  • On the fashion note, Buffy seems to wear a lot of animal prints....I wonder if they'd ever come to life being on a hellmouth...
  • Xander actually makes me laugh a lot in this episode - especially when he plays with the dummy. And when he jumps on the table like the dummy is a mouse.
  • 
    "I don't get it.."
    
    I think Cordy should have done a number with her Cordettes: Santa Baby?
  • Cute Willow Moment: "It could be me! It isn't though..."
  • Love the Giles/Cordy hair moment.
  • Buffy: "Okay, everyone look at me like I'm in a bunny suit..."  Foreshadowing?
  • The Tableau at the end when the curtain opens is AMAZING.
  • Check out Sid the Dummy in Chaos Bleeds - an old video game. You can actually play as Sid!

Zelda's Thoughts:
  • So we open with a crotchshot as a ballerina does a stretch. Thanks?
  • Shenanigans! The first shot is a POV shot that includes looking at the person whose POV it is! WHAT THE WRONG.
  • Giles is reminded that he actually works at this school and is forced to produce the talent show.
  • "Giles, into every generation is born one who must run the annual talentless show! You cannot escape your destiny." heeeeeeeeee
  • Everyone's reaction to the Scoobies' getting drafted into the talent show is hilarious. Giles smirks. Buffy makes whiny sounds. Xander says "No no no." Willow stares in horror.
  • "It could be anyone. It  could be me! ... It's not though." Aly is hilarious!!!
  • Awww I really like this episode. It's punchy and clever, and the interrogation scenes were adorbs.
  • Giles fucking with Cordelia about her hair - best thing ever or BEST THING EVER?
  • Giles makes tea! Because he's British! We're not tracking this or anything, but still ...
  • "Judging me like I'm some kind of ... Buffy!"
  • Snyder has probably the greatest character episode introduction ever. My apologies to Spike.
  • zomg Xander spoilered us about Keyser Soze! Luckily I had no idea what he said in that line until years after I saw the movie.
  • BEST ENDING CREDITS EVER.
  
Crossfire!

Willow: A dramatic scene is the easiest way to get through the talent show, because it doesn't require an actual talent.
Zelda: Fuck you!
Daniel: Heyyy!


Favorite Lines:

Daniel: "That's the kind of woolly-headed liberal thinking that leads to being eaten." - Snyder
Zelda: "There are things I will not tolerate: students loitering on campus after school; horrible murders with hearts being removed; and also smoking." - SNYDER IS THE BEST EVAR


90s Factoid:  
Cordy decided long ago never to walk in anyone's shadow.
In the 90s, singing Whitney was popular


Arc/Continuity Stuff:
  • Cordelia can't sing. She really can't.
  • Snyder's first appearance! He is set up as an antagonistic figure, but it is unclear how "in the know" he is.
  • I think Buffy has a new history teacher. To go with her five history tutors.
  • Morgan has a brain tumor. Just like Ford! And Joyce!

Stats:

I will beat up All The Puppets.

Voiceover - Creepy B-Movie Guy
Angel's Character - hiding in the magician's vanishing box
Dead Humans - 2
Dead Undeads - 2
Giles Unconscious - 0
Giles Cleans His Glasses - 0
Buffy Breaks a Door - 1 (...to a locker)
Evil Reveal - 1 (Marc the magician)
Unevil Reveal - 1 (Sid the dummy)
Shenanigans Called - 1
Apocalypse Called - 0

4 comments:

  1. This one was actually my least favourite of the first season and it's only because I hated and still hate Dummies. They are second only to clowns in creepiness.

    I did love a lot of the humour in this ep though. Like Giles and Cordy, Snyder's introduction and, of course, the hilarious ending scene with the Scoobies trying to recite Oedipus Rex. Great stuff but the Dummy stuff fell flat to me, only because of my own aversion to them.

    Great stuff, guys. I'm getting excited for when you get to Prophecy Girl. It's one of my favourite episodes of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dummies freak me the hell out, too. Although I kinda warmed up to Sid a little bit, despite his wood jokes. We get it, you're horny, and you're made out of a substance that is a synonym for boner.

    Also, Snyder. Snyder, horrid little troll that he is, is the best principal ever. True story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, am I in fact the weird one in that I'm not freaked out by dummies? I mean, if one started having autonomy and then came at me with a knife, sure I'd be scared. And I still haven't seen the Chuckie movies, but dummies never really scared me.

    Puppets are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always found this episode boring. I liked the twist, expcially as it contrasted great with other 90's Dummy Horror like Goosebumps Night of the Living Dummy series, and the older Childs Play series

    ReplyDelete