- Oh. The Master. We forgot all about him.
- It's a bad sign that Daniel and I are both talking about Siobhan and Bridget. Wrong show, us!
- Buffy sleeps in a bra. Is that a thing people do? That's not a thing I ever do.
- What class has a session in Active Listening? Health. Apparently.
- Xander = worst student ever.
- They shoulda cast Billy the Kid here as the Annoying One. He's way less annoying.
- Thank you, Master, for explaining the meaning of the episode. "We are defined by the things we fear...but fear is in the mind. Like pain, it can be controlled. If I can face my fear, it cannot master me."
- Reverse of the David Lynch shot from the pilot! Rise from the depths of Master Underground to the schoolground.
- Not Worst Mom Ever Moment: Joyce advocating for Hank's merits and love for his daughter.
- Xander's implicit trust in Buffy's ability to conquer all bad things is very sweet. And destined to not last. Because Xander is stupid.
- "It's funny if you're me." - oh, I've used that one a lot. [Me too! - D]
- Buffy has a lollipop! Just like her future flashback self.
- Aw Buffy panics about her history test. Ask one of your five history tutors for help, Buffy!
- It's interesting that they have the Ugly Man - the manifestation of Billy's nightmare - in addition to the nightmare visions of everyone being realized - two separate forms of antagonism for our gang to fight.
- Buffy has good bedside manner.
- Shenanigans! They tell the doctor they're friends, not family, and he gives the full medical rundown of both Laura and Billy - if you're not family, you don't get anything beyond ward and temperature.
- Poor Buffy is so sad and hurt. I hate you, nightmare version of Hank Summers! So much!
- Buffy's nightmares in general are the most upsetting - horrifying things rather than embarrassing - probably because it's her show - and her lens - and because SMG is so freaking good. Her face as her father breaks her heart is some truly great acting, with very few lines.
- "Dreams! That would be a musical comedy version of this." ... foreshadowing?
- "Things like that are easy when you live on the Hellmouth." - best bit of lantern-hanging/free pass ever.
- Aaaaaaaaaand swastikas. Thanks, Xander's subconscious.
- We're not counting Buffy the Vamp in our death tally because ... we're not. We're also not calling shenanigans on her going into the sunlight as Buffy the Vamp because ... she doesn't count as really dead or really a vamp.
- Calling Willow a soprano? Shenanigans! She's an alto!
- I want chocolate now. Lots of chocolate. Damn you, Xander's subconscious!
- So this is actually the first time Buffy and the Master have been face to face. Is this really the Master or her dream manifestation? I feel like he knows too much about what's going on and why to be the real McCoy. In which case ... they've never come face to face, but she knows so exactly what he looks like that he's in her nightmares. Interesting. I'd call some shape of shenanigan, except that she has prophetic dreams, being all slayering.
- Xander was the first to conquer his nightmare! I'm so proud.
- "Excuse me, when did they put a cemetery in across the street?" "And when did they make it night over there?"
- SMG, again, really good acting with trying not to cry, trying to remain calm, trying to be the strong slayer, even as she's inwardly falling apart at being a vampire.
- Nice li'l Wizard of Oz shoutout, Billy the Kid.
|Listen to the book as it goes THUD. |
No wait, that's my head against
the desk. My bad.
Zelda: Xander didn't draw out his words, I say!
Daniel: He did, I say!
Zelda: "Well, that explanation was shorter than usual. It's Billy! Who's Billy?" - Xander
Daniel: "Mmm Hmm!" Aldo the opera guy
|People still used real pencils and carried plastic pencil sharpeners around!|
Dead Undeads - 0
Giles Unconscious - 0
Giles Cleans His Glasses - 0
Buffy Breaks a Door - 0
Evil Reveal - 0
Unevil Reveal - 0
Shenanigans Called - 2
Apocalypse Called - 0