PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SPOILER-RICH ZONE

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SPOILER-RICH ZONE. If your diet requires you to dine on television spoiler-free ... good luck with that.

REVIEW ARCHIVES

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Two Slayers, No Waiting


Two Slayers, No Waiting
Episode 2.10: What's My Line?: Part 2. 
Original Airdate 11.24.97


"Buffy joins forces with another Slayer in hopes of saving Angel from the clutches of Spike and Drusilla."








Zelda's Thoughts:


  • "I'm the damn Slayer!" Yay Buffy owning her destiny? Sort of?
  • So her watcher sent Kendra, a teenager, to kill vampires in Sunnydale, with absolutely no guidance beyond that. WHY THE HELL DIDN'T HE COME WITH? Worst. Watcher. Ever.
  • So ... the sun weakens poor widdle Angel? By being ... vaguely near? This is never a thing in any other episode. I call shenanigans.
  • Willow's face as Kendra talks. Hilarious.  ===>
  • "She died?" // "Just a little!"
  • Daniel and I are being total dorks and saying all Kendra's lines with bad Jamaican accents and giggling like idiots.
  • I don't believe that Kendra was cutting herself off mid-sentence with "he looked just like another animal when I -" "I-" - Bad Acting 101
  • Aw yay Willy saved Angel. Of course, it was to bring him to Spike, but still cool.
  • "I'm thinking, maybe dinner and a movie. Don't want to rush into anything. I've been hurt, you know" I love Spike so. No wonder they didn't kill him off.
  • Hahaha even Bug Guy is sick of dealing with Cordy. "Are there more ladies in the house?"
  • We handled this in the crossfire last week, but seriously, how can Bug Guy actually hurt them? Are the bugs venomous? Sure, he's gross but ... that's kind of ... it? I refuse to let go of this point.
  • Last night Kendra saved Willy from Angel. Now she punches Willy out and says "Thees one ees dirtee! I cahn feeeeel it!" First she thinks Buffy's a vampire, and now this? Worst. Slayer. Ever.
  • "No wonder you died." But she talks some pretty good smack.
  • Aw Spike's face when Dru asks to play with Angel. He's jealous.
  • Shenanigans! "Disneyland would get boring after a few months." That is in no way a true statement. [Maybe with the one park - Disney World is better...more parks, more drinking - D]
  • Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Cordy and Xander kiss. With the rising music and the rising ... music.
  • Oz and Willow are seriously the cutest flirts on the entire planet.
  • "Angel's our friend! Except I don't like him." I actually think that's the most mature and honest Xander has ever, in his entire life, been about Angel.
  • I'd call a shenanigan on Dru keeping holy water around, but she's insane, so I'll believe anything.
  • "Kendra killed the bad lamp."
  • Is Jamaica part of Scotland?
  • "Kendra, my emotions give me power. They're total assets." Our Buffy is a better Slayer than any Slayer who's not our Slayer.
  • So she's not permitted to speak with boys, which gives her crippling awkwardness, but she's totally chill with talking to Giles the Tweed Man. Is there an age cutoff before she starts getting shy? She was also fine with Willy. Was it because she  could feeeeeel his dirteeness?
  • Hahaha Angel taunting Spike's lack of sexual prowess. Which is kind of adorable, considering Angel's been celibate for like a century. But I do enjoy his taunting him all the same.
  • Angelus! Again with the mispronouncing, JM! Sigh.
  • I think this is also the first time Buffy has to confront a black-and-white perspective on vampires where she has to defend Angel's existence to a White Hat
  • Love the knife hidden in the cross.
  • As far as macguffiny spells go, this one is pretty cool. I like the picture of how they're tied together.



  • "They were duplicitous." // "Well, then I'll only kill you just this once."
  • "Dat's me favrit shart! Dat's me only shart!" I'm sorry, I know we're being petty, but it's funny.
  • That organ and the fire shoulda killed Spike and Dru. BUT THEY WERE TOO POPULAR TO BE KILLED.
  • Aw, Kendra helps save Angel.
  • "You talk about slaying like it's a job. It's not. It's who you are." This was almost my favorite line, for thematical purposes, but then Oz talked about monkey pants and he just won.
  • "I don't hug."
  • Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Spike and Dru live on!

Daniel's Thoughts:
  • I hate to start this episode off with a Shenanigans! But when Kendra and a new watcher were called, no one contacted Giles? Even to see if he was OK because his slayer died? Or to reassign him somewhere? What a poorly run organization. This won't be the last shenanigan I have associated with the coucil.
  • Zelda and I keep making fun of Kendra’s accent.  Harmless fun or racism?  You decide.
  • So if new Slayers can be called when one dies, can we just do a Flatliners thing where we kill a slayer and bring her back?  Just a suggestion...  We could have an army!  Although, season seven...so never mind.
  • Worms are freaking gross, you guys!
  • Wow, Buffy is kind of a bitch to Kendra.
  • There’s a slayer handbook?
  • My God, Buffy – at least run a comb through your hair:


  • Aww, Oz saved Willow’s life!
  • No! Don’t kill Jonathan!  Good.  Jonathan will live to see another day.
  • Oz...the first Scooby to be shot.  His shirt.  It's red.  SPOILERS!
  • “Kendra killed the bad lamp!”
  • Ok Buffy is now imitating Kendra’s accent too.  So it’s not racist. It’s fun.  Cause Buffy can’t be racist.
  • “Shhh, ruff!  Bad dog!”
  • Would Angel really have sacrificed himself just so Drusilla couldn’t get her strength back?
  • “That’s my favorite shirt!  That’s me only shirt!”
  • It's kind of unnerving that Bianca Lawson is still playing a teenager after all these years.
  • Willow & Oz: awwww.  I love their final conversation as they walk down the hall.  Especially since I heard they ad libbed a lot of it.

Favorite Lines:

Zelda: The whole monkey pants sequence: Oz: "And you know the monkey's just, 'I mock you with my monkey pants!' And there's a big coup in the zoo." // Willow: "The monkey is French?" // Oz: "All monkeys are French. You didn't know that?"
Daniel: "Yeah, sometimes." - Oz's non-explanatory response to Willow's observation that his hair is brown today.

90s Factoid:

The line: "Can we say stuck in the 80s?"




Arc/Continuity Stuff:

  • Cordy and Xander's first kiss/massive makeout session.
  • Jonathan is back! This time he's called Freshman.



Stats:

Photographic proof, ladies and germs!

  • Voiceover - none
  • Oz's hair - brown
  • Dead Humans - 0
  • Dead Undeads - 4
  • Giles Unconscious - 0
  • Giles Cleans His Glasses - 1
  • Buffy Breaks a Door - 0
  • Evil Reveal - 1 (Patrice the LadyCop)
  • Unevil Reveal - 0
  • Shenanigans Called - 3
  • Apocalypse Called - 0

1 comment:

  1. "Our Buffy is a better Slayer than any Slayer who's not our Slayer."

    Truth, and proven by science!

    ReplyDelete