PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SPOILER-RICH ZONE

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SPOILER-RICH ZONE. If your diet requires you to dine on television spoiler-free ... good luck with that.

REVIEW ARCHIVES

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Beg to Differ

"Daddy's here."



Episode 2.11: Ted. Original Airdate: 12.8.97

"Buffy's mother brings home Ted, her new boyfriend, who is not what he seems."






Daniel's Thoughts:

  • I love Buffy's first reaction to Ted - "Hi":

translation:
Who the hell are you and why are you kissing my mom?

  • John Ritter! Yay!
  • Willow is so cute when she's excited and can't form complete sentences
  • Robot or not, John Ritter really captures the over-bearing-wanna-be-stepfather...ness.
  • Hey Angel!  This is what it's like dating a sixteen year old!  They complain about their mom dating some creep.  Used to it yet? Huh? 
  • Worst. Mom. Ever. Joyce siding with her new boyfriend instead of her daughter.  OK, slight reprieve because you're being drugged by cookie...
  • "I'm not wired that way." - First clue that Ted is a robot.  Clever.
  • I love that Buffy's stubbornness, i.e., not eating Ted's cooking when everyone else is enjoying it so much, is the thing that saves her.
  • Worst. Mom. Ever.  Part II: Actually accusing Buffy of lying that Ted threatened her?  Come on, Joyce!
  • I love Buffy sneaking around Ted's office.  She does a great job and could totally be a P.I. after high school: Buffy Summers: P.I.
  • John Ritter is really good at being creepy.
  • Ted's threat about showing her diary to Joyce could have been a good opportunity to finally let Joyce in on the slaying.
  • Ohmigosh!  There's a police department in Sunnydale!  I think this is the 2nd time we see cops.
  • I like that the cops' questions make sense for the most part in a non-hell-mouthy context. 
  • But at the same time, they almost seem to go easy on Buffy.  Maybe they know who she is?

  • First time Buffy wrestles with the morals of killing a human vs an undead.  It won't be the last time.
  • Interesting that it's Cordelia who defends Buffy's "right to kill."
  • Cordy is so awesome.  "Maybe in a Fascist society."  "Yes! Let's have one of those!"
  • This ep reminds me a bit of the old horror movie classic, "The Stepfather."
  • When they find Ted's underground pad, it reminds me of an old Twilight Zone or Tales From the Crypt episode.
  • It'd be interesting to find out that Warren is somehow related to Ted.
  • Great robot make-up.
  • The ending is vague.  It's still unclear where Joyce thinks Ted is...and what he was.


Zelda's Thoughts:

  • I actually don't know who the Captain and Tennille are either.
  • "How is Angel? Pretend I care." 
  • Wow Buffy really likes Ted not even a little bit right away.
  • Though Joyce and Ted really should have closed/locked the front door.
  • Is it bad that I feel like we're just treading water through these next two episodes until Surprise and Innocence?
  • I really like Joyce's dress. ==>
  • John Ritter, you are just made of awesome. I miss you.
  • Willow's shriekyjoysound. I can't handle.
  • "Vampires are creeps." "Yes, that's why one slays them."
  • "Hi Ted. Ted who's here."
  • Oh right. Jenny is keeping her distance from Giles. Sad Giles Face.
  • "You make me feel bad that I don't feel better." Very cool sentiment. Also very sad.
  • So is Angel's main purpose here to be bandaged and to make out with Buffy? Yep, that's it.
  • First clue Ted is freakyinvasive - talking about Buffy's grades. And then telling Buffy no cheating and no parties.
  • Buffy is rocking the pouty teen posture.
Like Fosse, it's all in the shoulders.

  • And then he's COMPLETELY FUCKING CREEPY. Jesus Christ.
  • So the story quickly shifts from Buffy disliking someone just for dating her mother to guy who is awful to her when no one's looking. Which unfortunately makes it seem like more of her not liking him just for dating her mom.
  • But I call complete bullshit (and I know Daniel is doing the same thing) that Joyce doesn't believe Buffy when she says he threatened to hurt her. Buffy doesn't lie. Well, Buffy lies, but not about this.
  • Haha. Xander gives Cordy a compliment and she thinks he's being sarcastic. It's kinda cute.
  • See, this is why we love Willow. She's supportive of Buffy even when she thinks Buffy is overreacting.
  • I like that Buffy calls her mom Stepford happy. Ted is the real Stepford here.
  • You guys, I'm totally bonding with Buffy right now. Not cuz of the "jerkoff dating my mom" thing, but because her feet don't reach the ground when she sits on the swing.
It's like we're sisters. With really different hair.

  • Creepyass Ted reading her diary. John Ritter is so good at being really fucking creepy.
  • Clue he's a creepyrobot - his slap had some real punch (er...so to speak) on Buffy the Slayer.
  • And of course Joyce only shows up once Buffy is doing most of the punching and kicking.
  • I actually like that Buffy killing a "human," even one who was attacking and threatening her, is not treated lightly. It really takes her down emotionally. And I like that Buffy owns up to it to the police right away. Unlike some Faiths I could mention. "I'm the Slayer. I had no right to hit him like that." This is why Buffy is the best.
  • One point in Joyce's favor - she tried to cover for Buffy - saying Ted fell without including that Buffy was attacking him.
  • Buffy wears her depression overalls.
  • "I guess you should know, since you helped raise that demon that killed that guy that time?" Cordelia's lack of tact is really helping to lighten the tone of this episode. Thanks Cordy!
  • Really good acting from SMG and KS this week. Poor Joyce.
  • "You are the best human ever! I adore you!" It's shit like this, Xander, that makes it hurt more when Willow finds out you're with Cordelia.
  • Gah. Ted showing up in her bedroom AFTER she killed him? Gah.
D & I both think this window gets reused,
but aren't sure where. Anyone?
  • "That's right, little lady, you killed me. Do we have something to say about that? Are we sorry?"
  • Giles taking the crossbow arrow in his back out and staking the vamp with it? BAMF
  • I'm glad Joyce is not ready to run off into the sunset with Ted, and gets to see how creepycrazy he is, so she learns Buffy knows best.
  • Cordelia saying the rug doesn't fit and that's how they figure it out? Awesome. She has earned her place in the Scoobies!
  • "I don't take orders from women. I'm not wired that way." Oh good he's a misogynist too. Just in case we felt any sympathy.
  • I'm not ... fully sure I understand his master plan. Woo a housewife, marry her, kill her, and on to the next? Always trying to recreate his first wife who left him? Sure I can see how that'd be fun for a human psychopath serial killer, but a robot?
Intriguing

  • "They're your size, they're always your size." Gah.
  • So Joyce didn't know he was a robot, just a creeper? Does it come out that he's a robot? Is that something in the police report or the newspapers? We know they found out about his past dead wives ... or did the Mayor cover it up?


Favorite Lines:


Daniel: "I believe the subtext here is..is rapidly becoming, uh...text." Giles
Zelda: Cordelia: "But she's like this superman. Shouldn't there be different rules for her?" // Willow: "Sure, in a fascist society." // Cordelia: "Right! Why can't we have one of those?"


90s Factoid:
Ted gives Willow 3x5 floppy discs

Arc/Continuity Stuff:

  • Buffy is bandaging Angel's hand from when Spike's little ritual.
  • First appearance of Detective Stein.
Giles and Jenny are back together!

  
Stats:
Voiceover - Giles
Dead Humans - 0 (We're not counting Original Ted or his four wives)
Dead Undeads - 3
Giles Unconscious - 0
Giles Cleans His Glasses - 0
Buffy Breaks a Door - 1
Evil Reveal - 1 (Ted)
Unevil Reveal - 0
Shenanigans Called - 0
Apocalypse Called - 0

7 comments:

  1. From what I interpreted from this episode, I just thought that he was trying to replace his wife. He would find someone who fit the bill but then his misogynist, creep level would gradually come out, the woman would get freaked or try to leave and Ted can't have that so, she needs to die. Then on to find another one since the last one wasn't "perfect".

    Ted still kind of creeps me out and I love the first part of the episode where everyone loves him except for Buffy. It's kind of funny, until it slaps you with the creepy/depressing stuff. This was a cool episode to see the first time around because of the "holy shit! Did Buffy just kill a human?" stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like to point out, user "lameassmadeupusername" has solved the mystery. The same set is used for the shop Cordy works in, "April Fools" seen here:

    http://toucan.arvixe.com/~howard2k/buffyworld/buffy/screencaps/054/jpg1/3X20PROM1152.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, I was so mad at Joyce the first time I saw this episode. I may have been a little harsh, considering the LSD cookies, but dude. Side-eyeing her for days.

    Also, you might want to notice that Joyce's dress is similar to one she wears in I Was Made To Love You, before all was not right with the world and everything hurt. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a hard episode for me, between Buffy's issues and my issues, it was very issue-y

    ReplyDelete
  5. Window is from Faith's apartment in Season 3 :)

    ReplyDelete