Episode 2.12: Bad Eggs. Original Airdate 1.12.98
"Buffy and her friends encounter even more trouble than expected when the eggs they are given in health class turn out to be prehistoric parasites that take over their lives."
- "But a thin streetwalker!" The Joyce/Buffy rapport in the mall is adorbs.
- Haha Buffy getting rid of the schmuckbait by pretending to be his girlfriend. Hilariocity.
- "This ain't over." *disappears in a puff of cartoon smoke* Well said. Wasn't that well said?
- So is this mall in Sunnydale proper? Or out of town limits? Our mall was in the next town over. And we didn't have a Starbucks. Or a whole lot of town. But we did have a university. Quite a good one. With possibly a covert government demon-fighting organization run in the bowels of campus. Basically I grew up in Sunnydale.
- "Saving the world from vampires?" Aw Buffy just came out.
- Okay, so I've been reading other Buffy-watching blogs lately and the consensus seems to be that Xander is completely awful. I know Daniel won't argue. And actually, this response really surprised me at first. Yes, Xander is not the best thing ever, but I always just sort of accepted him, as is. With his flaws and such. And so I didn't really question his behavior outside of "he's a hormone-driven teenage boy." And I'm still willing to give him some slack, because I don't hate him. But watching his closet scene with Cordelia, I have to say: This coupling is gross. He doesn't want her to talk, she doesn't want to see his face. I'm glad they end up liking each other later, because right now this is just uncomfortable.
- Willow has multiple - MULTIPLE - fluffy pink sweaters. I just want to point this out:
|I'm Willow and I've seen the softer side of Sears|
- We did the egg thing in middle school, not high school. Did you guys do the egg thing? But they drained our eggs so they were hollow shells.
- "My egg is Jewish." I love ya, Willow.
- Xander thinks the egg experiment is pointless. Because he is a stupid hormone-driven teenage boy.
- "...Why do you all have eggs?" I love ya, too, Giles.
- Buffy named her egg Eggbert. I want to be her friend.
- Props to SMG for not giggling as the tentacles get all up in her face.
If SMG was ever in a blooper, this might be one
- SHENANIGANS that Buffy doesn't get possessed. Unless that tentacles scene was supposed to be a prophetic dream? Unclear.
- I mean, cowboy vamps are entertaining and all, but do they have an actual point?
- An egg is behind Giles's books! Like Easter!
- "I resent that! Or possibly thank you."
- "Presumed dead." // "Presumed by whom?" // "By me!" At first I was charmed by Cordelia wanting there to be a mystery for the scoobies to get on. But then it was actually about making out with Xander in a closet.
- "Are they getting weirder? Have you noticed the weirdness of them?" // "They're weird."
- "Angel, when I look into the future, all I see is you. All I want is you." We'll revisit this "future" thing more next season.
- Gah. This all reminds me of when you find a roach in the apartment, go get something to smash it with, and when you turn around it's gone, but you can't relax because THERE'S A GIANT ROACH IN YOUR APARTMENT. Except it doesn't want to possess you. Daniel had this thought at the same time. #NewYorkers
- It has blue blood. Cool.
- So Buffy calls Willow about her egg. She should call Xander and Cordy too, no? No, apparently. Oh, she did call Giles at least.
- Cordy's backpack is a bear. I'm so excited.
- I'm sure the soundtrack here is supposed to be epic and scary but I kept laughing and making up lyrics.
- Shenanigans - Giles turns a civilian (Joyce) when she shows up. Cordy and Willow just knock Buffy and Xander out? And leave eggs with them. How come Giles had a bezoar all ready and wriggling?
- It upsets me so much when Giles is evil. This is like that dream in "When She Was Bad" all over again.
- They're really incompetent at digging. I guess they have to be gentle to not damage all the eggs or the giant sweaty eye thing?
- I'm glad they gave us Jonathan. Sure, he's almost always a victim of some magical nonesuch, but it gives a face to the rest of the extras in the school. Also it means a really nice payoff in Earshot and The Prom. He's been there the whole time.
- Man, for a group of drones being controlled by one central mind, this is a really inefficient operation.
- Ah, so the Gorches function to just make things inconvenient for the Buffy. Though Lyle Gorch is fighting on Buffy's side for like 2 seconds. It's cute.
- Buffy killed the giant sweaty eye. Buffy emerges from underground covered in tar-y blood. Lyle runs away. That's the math.
- Poor Buffy. She saved the day, and she's still in trouble with mom.
- What mom takes her teenage daughter to the mall and only buys things for herself? Worst. Mom. Ever.
- Xander is the grossest gross of grossdom. "This would work a lot better for me if you didn't talk." Ew. Just ew. It wasn't even as if she was saying anything that would warrant that kind of misogynistic gross gross crap. And I partly blame line delivery because he could have said it in a 'joking' funny way...but he sounded like a complete ass. And people wonder why I hate Xander.
- Hey, I never had to do that egg carrying thing! *jealous*
- I like when Willow remembers her Judaism. It doesn't happen often.
- So it seems the first time the eggs attack, they just make you...sleepy?
- Except - SHENANIGANS - that's not always the case. It's very inconsistent. Joyce and Jonathan both get possessed the first time.
- "It's like a shortcut, when you're running a race." // "That would also be cheating."
- Zelda and I thought the same thing: All these Angel/Buffy smooches are leading up to "Surprise." Good job, show.
- Egg creature is gross!
- "It's an egg. It doesn't emote."
- Xander littered! Another reason to...aw, you get it.
- Worst. Mom. Ever. Again. Kids are burdens! Such burdens! Where's the schnapps? Someone get Joyce some schnapps!
- There are weird different levels of possession acting. Some act like there's no one around and they're sleep walking. Others seem amazingly cognizant. Very inconsistent story...
- And OK Shenanigans!, the egg creature is hatching out of Cordelia's backpack and attaching to her spine...so...why doesn't she react at all to this? When it happens to Jonathan and Joyce, they freak out.
- Giles has an egg creature all ready for Joyce - so why don't Cordy/Willow have them for Buffy/Xander?
- They're all so fake digging!
- Awww, see, as Dru will point out in a couple of seasons, Vampires can love. I like that Lyle is so protective over his brother.
- And another Xander hate: I really hate that Xander is so reactive by hitting Cordelia so quickly. And actually seems happy to do it.
- Ok, y'all - sorry for the Debbie Downer post on my end. There are so many inconsistencies with this episode and so much Xander hate. Suspending disbelief is fine - but when the episode lore contradicts itself, that's where you need to start from the drawing board.
Buffy: And I'd say he found something.
D (mockingly): I'd say something found him.
Xander: I'd say something found him.
D: Shut up Xander.
Z: If you say it first, you don't get to say shut up to Xander. I get to say shut up to you.
Zelda: "A bozo! Not a bozo." - Buffy
Daniel: "Why don't you just go to 'Muumuus are us?'" - Buffy
|Double Earings on a boy? So 90s|
|"I killed my Giga Pet. Literally, I sat on it and it broke."|
- First appearance of Lyle & Tector Gorch.
- They mispronounce Angelus too. All Spike's fault.
- Vampires can't have children. Except when they can.
- Sunnydale High has a security guard that stalks the halls of the school at night.
- First time Willow is "evil."
- Jonathan! He's our resident victim, isn't he.
Voiceover - Giles
Dead Humans - 0
Dead Undeads - 2
Giles Unconscious - 1
Giles Cleans His Glasses - 1
Buffy Breaks a Door - 1*
Evil Reveal - 6 (Gorch, Eggbert, Mr. Whitmore, Willow, Cordelia, Giles)
Unevil Reveal - 0
Shenanigans Called -4
*Stat updated. Thanks Loopty Lue for pointing it out!