Episode 3.6: Band Candy. Original Airdate 11.10.98
"Adults throughout Sunnydale behave like immature teenagers after they eat cursed candy."
- This episode is a love letter to the amazingness of Tony Head and Armin Shimerman. And you know it.
- But Giles, what is that scarf. Did we learn nothing from Nightmares?
- This season does so well to set up its arc. Yes, we've got a monster of the week, but it's because the Mayor's got to do his tribute.
- "There's this whole trick to antonyms, but um ... this isn't the place."
- "What? I can't have layers?"
- "Why do I put up with this?" // "Because it is your destiny. And because I just bought 20 cocoriffic candy bars."
- Giles getting hit in the head with a ball.
- Oh look. Buffy's lying to everyone about where she is because of Angel Reasons. THIS WILL NOT END WELL, BUFFY.
- Aw, Angel remembers Scott. And Buffy's already forgotten him. Awkward.
- Joyce and Giles, eatin' the chocolate.
- AND GILES'S ACCENT IS SLIPPING INTO HIS RIPPERNESS.
- I like that Giles, the most mature and awesomest adult, is the first one to slip into teenagerness. "Yeh." he says. "Yeh."
- "I like chocolate. There is no bad here."
- STAHP, WILLOW AND XANDER, STAHP.
- "The big pinhead librarian didn't show up and I don't wanna do it." I AM LAUGHING AT EVERYTHING SNYDER SAYS. "Everyone expects me to do everything around here because I'm the principal. It's not fair."
- Ugh. Miss Barton is NOT a good actress. Not at ALL.
- "What? Excuse me, I meant WHAT?"
- GILES IS SMOKING. IS HE EVIL OR ABOUT TO DIE?
- Buffy drives as well as Cher Horowitz.
|She totally paused!|
- Aw Joyce wants to be cool like Giles, but she's not.
- I love when Tony Head uses his own accent.
- Awwwwwwwww did you see how Oz lit up when he saw Willow? STAHP IT WITH XANDER, WILLOW.
- Miss Barton, go away. Please. You're a bad actor.
- Snyder Snyder Snyder you are my favorite. I love you so much. Armin Shimerman is so amazing.
- "They're acting like a bunch of us." // "I don't act like this."
- Ethan Rayne, you are marvelous.
- I love that Snyder is tagging along. He even hops in the car. I freaking LOVE that.
- Parkling lot playground - is this also where Drusilla and Angel were? and the Gingerbread children hang out?
- I love how involved Snyder is, listening intently and excitedly in the car.
- "OH Ripper, wow, that was so brave." She sounds like a teenager, awesome delivery.
- "Oooh, copper's got a gun!"
- Aaaaaaaah Giles and Joyce are making out whaaaah.
- This alleyway outside the candy factory looks suspiciously like the alleyway outside the Bronze. And outside everything ever.
- "I'm your watcher, so you do what I tell you. Now sod off!"
- "Hey! Britface! Wait up."
- My favorite chase scene ever - when they run through the same aisle of boxes about five times in a row.
- Also, soundtrack, staaaaaaaaahp playing romantic strummy music under their illicit feelings. STOP MAKING IT ROMANTIC WHEN IT'S DUMB.
- Giles's little hop of glee when she punches Ethan. So the best:
- I think chocolate is the best macguffin ever.
- Giles is wearing his earring.
- nooooooooooooooooooooes don't take the babies
- I do appreciate how gentle the henchvamps were with the babies. Did we see how carefully they cradled them?
|We're going to feed you to a demon, yes we are! Yes we are!|
- "I took Tae Kwon Do at the Y." Snyder, never change.
|I just made white belt|
- Haha teenage Giles still remembers his reading. And looks so impressed with himself.
- The Mayor, calling about sewer maintenance while doing his tribute ritual: I just ... I love him.
- So the Mayor sneaks out before Buffy can see him. I guess all she sees are the henchvamps and Trick.
- I guess when babies can't be had, Lurconis is chill with eating a henchvamp.
- Stupid Giles, interfering and allowing Trick to escape.
- Okay, I can't resist. Here are a bunch of funny gifs. This is the most giffable episode ever.
- SAT Prep in a cemetary!
- And I love "we haven't had 'B' in forever". That's how I picked my multiple choice.
- I may not like Mr. Trick but he is certainly a swanky dresser.
- "Isn't she cute when she's proud?"//"She's always cute." I think if Facebook had been around, Oz would be one of those annoying people who constantly praise their girlfriend in status updates.
- Yeah, I don't get why non-band people have to sell band candy. It's a bit contrived but to make this awesome episode, I'll allow it.
- Worst. Mom. Ever. She's a slayer. She has tons of responsibility and she does it well. And yet driving is too much? I don't get it, Joyce.
- Giles getting hit on the head with the dodgeball is hilarious. Especially since it's pretty impossible that he didn't see it coming. His impaired vision includes lack of peripheral?
- Looks like Angel forgot how to put a shirt on again. Shame.
- Angel asks about Scott. Aww, Scott (I miss you Scott!)
- Ethan Rayne!!! You know it's going to be an awesome episode with Ethan Rayne in it. I mean, this is a guy dedicated to causing chaos...so...there's a lot of fun times there.
- Oh man, they're continuing the stupid Willow/Xander flirtation thing. KILL ME.
- Oh, Snyder. You're awesome.
- Did Buffy really not notice her mom until the camera panned over to her? She's...sitting right there. Again, what's with the lack of peripheral vision?
- Giles is smoking! Something evil must be going on!
- The old people partying...it just looks embarrassing.
- "Willow, that's a tree!"
- What's great about the writing is that the adults are using slang from their own teenage years and not trying to be like kids in the 90s.
- I'm glad Willow points out that she doesn't act like that...it's definitely extreme which is, I suppose, purposeful. It's not just that the adults are acting like kids - but like drunk or stoned teenagers.
- "It just gets more upsetting" - Yep...
- Ok, cause like the mailman is reading the mail. Is that really a teenage thing to do or a sociopath thing to do. And...same thing?
- "Something's weird."//"Something's not?" Hehe.
- Oz mentions his parents. I want to meet Oz's parents!
- I think this is one of Kristine's best-acted episodes, too. I really believe 70s teen Joyce.
- Giles: "Hit him!" Hee.
- Oh no! The tiny babies! Well this has taken an interesting twist.
- Lurconis is a badly constructed demon. It's just another penis. I mean penis. I mean snake.
- Giles/Joyce awkwardness! While I love that this comes back in Earshot, I think it's kind of a missed opportunity right there.
This is our first Ethan Rayne episode since the untimely passing of Robin Sachs, and we wanted to take this moment to remember him, and mourn his passing. Robin Sachs passed away on February 1st of this year, at the age of 61. Even though his character Ethan Rayne appeared in only four episodes in the seven seasons of Buffy, his impact was indelible, memorable. He was deliciously evil, just incompetent enough that even when Buffy caught him, it wasn't that big a deal when he would get away, over and over again. Also he was British, which always helps. And his presence on Buffy continued in Chaos Bleeds, an awesome video game that starred Ethan Rayne as the big bad. (Missed Opportunity?) Of course his work expanded beyond the Mutant Enemy universe, with many stage, screen, and television credits to his name, in addition to countless voiceovers. He left us before his time, and he will be missed. We thank him for his work, and will continue to remember him.
Zelda vs the show:
"This is a big meal? It's only like four babies. It should be TWELVE babies."
Zelda: Our title this week: "Whoa, Summers! You drive like a spaaaaaaaaaaz." - Snyder
Daniel:"Kiss Rocks? Why would anyone want to...oh." - Willow
- The Mayor and Trick are plottin' away.
- Snyder's here, but he's not in on the plot.
- Buffy's not allowed to drive.
- Gasp! Ethan Rayne is here! He is in on the plot.
- Buffy, Cordy, Willow, and Xander all have study hall together, which Giles typically supervises. Because of reasons.
- Devon and the band are here.
- Giles still has his eyegon tattoo.
- Xander has Cordelia's Homecoming Campaign flyer in his locker.
Oz's Hair - strawberry blond - or as Snyder says, "You've got great hair."
Dead Humans - 1
Dead Undeads - 5
Dead Flashbacks - 0
Giles Unconscious - 0
Giles Cleans His Glasses - 0
Buffy Breaks a Door - 0
Evil Reveal - 0
Unevil Reveal - 0
Shenanigans Called - 0
Apocalypse Called - 0