PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SPOILER-RICH ZONE

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SPOILER-RICH ZONE. If your diet requires you to dine on television spoiler-free ... good luck with that.

REVIEW ARCHIVES

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Formerly Dangerous and Currently Annoying





Episode 4.19: New Moon Rising. Original Airdate 5.2.00



"Oz's return to Sunnydale leads to his incarceration by the Initiative and complicates the relationship between Willow and Tara."




Daniel's Thoughts:


  • The title has the word Moon in it, because….Oz.
  • That’s how I feel about cats, too, Willow.  I’m more of a dog person, but I’m not like ‘death to all cats’.
  • It’s really cute the way Willow is over-helping by trying to include Tara.
  • Hey, it’s Oz!
  • Amber Benson’s really good here.  Her face speaks volumes.
  • It’s odd that no one has put two and two together, with Tara & Willow.
  • Man, this show likes turtlenecks….here in….southern California…
It got down to 70 today!

  • Wow, Riley still doesn’t know about Angel?
  • I do like the continuity.  Oz left with a purpose and he went through with it.
  • Ok, I admit, Riley’s being a dick – but I mean…it’s not like Buffy’s been completely honest with him.
  • Buffy’s reaction to Willow’s coming out is cute.  She’s a bit shocked and doesn’t know what to say at first.  Sure, it takes a few minutes – but she proves she’s a good friend.  It doesn’t matter to her.
  • Adam’s part human, but Spike can hit him anyway.  I guess the demon part overpowers the human parts.
  • Tara is just so incredibly sweet.  It’s obvious she’d do anything for Willow, even if it’s just stepping aside.
  • This part, I don’t like.  I don’t like Oz’s reaction to Tara.  I understand that he’s upset – I just hate that he’s so angry.
  • Hey, it’s that one classroom that they have…on campus.
  • I wish Riley acknowledged Tara as more than just a victim…I know it was a quick scene, but he was acting like he didn’t know her.  A simple, “Tara, we got this” would have sufficed.  And vice-versa, if Tara said Riley’s name.
  • Guys, it’s 2000.  Stop with the pagers…We don’t have a 90s factoid stat anymore
  • Naked Oz is very very pink.
  • I love how Willow and Buffy are wearing lab coats like that’s some sort of disguise…
  • Slap my hand now!  In celebration!  Ow!
  • Spike’s clothes….he looks like a reject from Star Trek.
Beam me up, Dru

  • I’m glad they brought back Oz for some closure, even though there are parts of this episode that I don’t really like.  It’s still nice that Oz is leaving, happy for Willow.
  • Yay, aww. Willow brought Tara a candle cause bitchez love candles. 

And now...sex!


Zelda's Thoughts:

  • Tara and Willow, I hate to break it to you, but cats are evil. Sorry guys. It's just a truth.
  • Parking lot! Do a shot!
  • THEY'RE HOLDING HAAAAAAAANDS.

  • "Buffy doesn't make her quota? Bad Slayer!"
  • How come Willow's acting like this is Tara's first time at a Scooby meeting? She's been going the last two episodes.
  • Oz! It's Oz.
  • How come Oz knew to come to Giles's apartment? Did he try the dorms first? Imma retcon he tried the dorms first. Because this seems like an odd first stop.
  • Also he just opened that door without knocking. Rude. Giles really should lock his door. Anya told him that months ago. Giles, learn you nothing in your leisure time?
  • Aly's eyes are huge. She has the hugest eyes.
  • Aw Tara. Trying to give Willow space to figure things out, and to spare them both the awkwardness.
  • Parking lot (again)! I'm getting liver poisoning over here.
  • Hi Alpert crypt!
  • Oho there is subtext to Buffy bridling at Riley judging Willow for dating a "dangerous" guy. I HEAR STRAINS OF ANGEL, DO YOU HEAR STRAINS OF ANGEL.
  • These characters have the most ridiculous coats on this show.
  • Willow's happiness for Oz, being able to keep his wolf down during a full moon. It's so sweet. But also it HURTS.
  • It's so sad, you know. Oz achieved his goal - he can keep the wolf down during the full moon, through keeping calm (and herbs and chanting and charms and whatnot) but the horrible side effect, as we see later, is when he gets upset, really upset, the wolf can come out independent of the full moon. He's in control, and he's horribly not in control. He's become the metaphor for the abusive boyfriend (or ex-boyfriend) he never wanted to be.
  • Poor Willow, this is so awkward. She wants to tell Oz what's new with her, but the most new thing with her, the most important, is Tara, and she can't tell him, because she doesn't feel ready to tell anyone yet.
  • Oh poor Tara! The hurts! Her stutter's back. And Oz is friendly because he doesn't understand. "I saw you at Giles's yesterday!"
  • He senses something is up, but he can't think what. So he moves on.
  • Hey, Buffy's wearing the same black leather pants from Who Are You! Faith's back?
Hide your kids! Hide your Riley!

  • Wouldn't it be easy for Buffy to just say "Werewolves aren't evil and are also human for most of the year so back off"? I wanna say I don't get this fight between her and Riley except that the fight is actually about Angel and she's afraid to tell him about Angel so fine okay whatever subtext wins out over actual text.
  • Yay Willow came out to Buffy!
  • Here's what I like - yes Buffy gets kind of freaked when Willow comes out, but as soon as Willow confronts her on it, she immediately gets over it. She loves Willow, and she's glad Willow confided in her. Best friendies!
  • Look at Spike sleeping under a blanket in his crypt. In what looks like pretty direct sunlight.
The blanket has magical sun-blocking powers. And uh ...
he's wearing sunscreen?

  • "No, it's okay. I always knew that if he came back - " sadface
  • Taraaaaaaaa. She just wants to be supportive, knowing how confused Willow is, even as she's in so much confused pain herself.
  • "Life was starting to get so good, again, and you're a big part of that."
  • This is so painful. "Are you two involved? Because she never said anything to me, we talked all night."
  • And then he starts to turn. "Run."
  • The return of really bad werewolf makeup! They never did figure that one out in a satisfactory manner. At least this is our last werewolf of the series.
  • And back on the pendulum Spike swings, joining Adam's side.
  • "When it comes to the fighting, she does have a slight tendency to win."
  • "They took Oz. I tried to tell them, but -" I have a stutter. #awkward
  • Oh man, and when the wolf turns back to Oz and he's so small and naked and vulnerable, in a cage surrounded by giant commandos, in a giant facility.
  • I mean, yay Riley is on team Don't Torture Oz, since he actually knows him, but it's still awkward and kind of reminiscent of homophobes suddenly not homophobing when it turns out they've known a gay person all along. But maybe we can count it as character growth. It's too hard to tell with Riley and character growth, what with MB being dull as a table lamp.
  • "How'd you get in?" // "Door was unlocked. You might want to watch that." WASN'T I JUST SAYING THAT.
  • They've gotta be desperate/not thinking straight to buy Spike's story that he suddenly remembers how to get back into the Initiative, since that was the only reason they were keeping him around in the first half of the season and he was exactly zero help to them.
  • Yay Riley busting Oz out of prison. Okay fine, growth.
  • Oz is so tiny next to Riley.
  • "Slap my hand now! ... Ow." Her timing is so perfect.
  • "Talk later, stealthy escape now."
  • Aw, I actually find it quite sweet that they're hiding out in the old high school.
  • "It was my fault. I upset you." This line hurts, it's too much like the mantra of people in abusive relationships.
  • "I missed you, Oz. I wrote you so many letters, but I didn't have any place to send them, you know? I couldn't live like that." "It was stupid to think that you'd just be waiting." That at least is a better farewell than they had last time. I'm glad we got closure.
  • "I was waiting. I feel like a part of me will always be waiting for you." I don't quite know what to do with this sentiment, because it certainly doesn't feel true in later seasons, that there's any part of her waiting for Oz, and (granted, it's been a while) I don't remember any sense of that closeness remaining when he returns in the comics. I really don't remember the comics though, so feel free to correct me.
  • "You have to be with the person you love." // "I am." TWOO WUV. I wish I liked her more, I do. Because this is so freaking d'awwwwwwwwwww


Crossfire!

Willow: Let me just freshen up (grabs toiletry bag and leaves dorm room)
Z: There's a sink right there.
D: Yeah, but you don't wanna brush your teeth in front of people. I don't like brushing my teeth in front of people.
Z: (side-eyes D)


Favorite Lines:

Daniel: "I'll have the less confusing waffles right now." - Willow
Zelda: "Slap my hand now! ... Ow." - Anya


Arc/Continuity Stuff:

  • Oz is back! It's Oz!
  • First appearance of Colonel McNamara
  • Recurring: Tara, Anya, Graham, Forrest, fucking Adam, the remains of Sunnydale High
  • Shoutout to Devon
  • Willow comes out to Buffy.
  • Adam recruits Spike to his cause, promising to help remove his chip.
  • Riley has officially left the Initiative.
  • Buffy (off screen) tells Riley about her history with Angel (well, some of it)
  • Oz's last non-dream appearance.
Stats:
Anya's Hair - short, straight, honey colored
Oz's Hair - red
Dead Humans - 1
Dead Undeads - 1
Giles Unconscious - 0
Giles Cleans His Glasses - 0
Buffy Breaks a Door - 0
Evil Reveal - 0
Unevil Reveal -  0
Shenanigans Called - 0
Apocalypse Called - 0

5 comments:

  1. I remember being so conflicted with this episode. I loved Willow and Oz and wanted desperately for him to come back. On the other hand, I really liked Tara and Willow's relationship and didn't want Tara to get hurt or leave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100%! It's so conflicted, and I think that's what makes the show so good, the characters so good. I love both relationships, and I don't want to see any of them get hurt, and it's painful and real (werewolves and magic aside) and I like that they acknowledge there's no happy-ending-for-all solution to this.

      Delete
    2. Well...it's a happy ending for those who decided not to pursue a movie career. ;)

      Happy ending...so far...

      Delete
  2. My favorite thing about this episode is what DIDN'T happen; Buffy learned that Willow was gay, and kept it to herself. She let Willow tell everyone in her own time (which, oddly she decided was during a 3-way argument in The Yoko Factor).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite episodes! Willow coming out to Buffy was both funny and sweet.

    ReplyDelete