Episode 2.08: The Shroud of Rahmon.
“Posing as a hip Vegas vampire, Angel infiltrates a gang of thieves bent on stealing a supernatural shroud housed in a museum vault.”
- Ok we got two suits talking cryptically about someone. Ah, they’re cops. I guess. Yeah, the way they were talking and the way they’re dressed, I shoulda guessed that.
- They’re interrogating someone and we’re not supposed to know who he is but it’s obviously Wesley.
- They mention a body without a head.
- Wesley mysteriously says, “You didn’t bring it here, did you?”
- We flash to Angel with blood on his mouth and a woman falling to the ground. A blond woman. Darla?
- I don’t remember this episode at all.
- Wes continues to narrate after the credits. He describes what we saw…before the credits.
- He mumbles something about trying to stop him and he shouldn’t have been there. All weird vagueness.
- We flashback to Wes & Cordelia. There’s no 24 hours earlier tag or anything and -
- OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO CORDELIA’S HAIR. WHAT IS THAT.
|Even Cordelia has no idea|
- Cordy exposits that Wes is still dating Virginia – and Angel is helping Gunn with something.
- Angel & Gunn are talking to a friend of Gunn’s. The guy is nervous about a job regarding another vamp.
- Angel recognizes the name of the big bad vamp. And he wants to take on the job himself and leaves Gunn. Okay.
- Detective Kate surprises Angel at the Hyperion in his room. She’s silent the whole time but the chip on her shoulder gabs a lot. She’s looking for Darla. Also, search warrant much?
- They’re really playing Kate up to be an enemy for Angel. She even holds up a cross with a chiseled wooden stake at the bottom end.
|It looks cool, anyway|
- Angel catches Wes & Cordy up with what’s happening with Gunn’s case.
- Jay-Don, the vampire that’s coming in to LA is apparently loud, flashy – and ran with the Rat Pack.
- Cordy and Wes look at Angel like it’s make-over time.
- Angel is actually good at undercover – pretends that he’s excited to see this Jay-Don – and dusts him – but not before stealing his sunglasses….and then does a quick change!
- A demon lurks around. Angel acts like Jay-Don and gets in a car with him.
- Jay-Don meets with two demons and a security guard human. They’re waiting for the driver, Lester.
- Gunn takes a page out of Angel’s book and goes to the meeting in Lester’s place.
- And I love that. Because he’s using Angels methods while also kinda using it against him.
- It’s also convenient that none of these people have met and/or know what they look like.
- Angel fabricates animosity between him and Gunn for some reason – I guess so they don’t suspect them as working together?
- Cordelia, on a museum website: “Don’t they have a section of like, things you want to steal?”
- Ok, Angel says he hit Gunn to protect him. Gunn reciprocates by punching him back when they’re alone and tells him not to do it again. Good for him.
- Two Demons, Two Humans and Vampire Break Into a Museum.
- Angel stops the demon from killing another security guard.
- Kate and her detectives have security cam pictures of some of our heist members. And of course Kate recognizes Angel.
- Cordy makes good points about why religions always need virgin women for sacrifices. It’s a nice moment but it’s not like it’ll change anything.
- Cordy & Wes find out that this shroud is something that makes you crazy, so that’s fun.
- And indeed it does. As soon as they open the vault, you can see the affect it has on Angel.
- Gunn sees Angel’s eyes turn and is concerned.
- Wes & Cordelia show up and they’re not even near the shroud but they’re all of a sudden acting like they’re drunk. As if the shroud is doing something to them.
- And Detective Kate has arrived as well.
- Glass in the box cracks which makes their emotions run even higher.
- This is the part of the heist where the security guard who is in on the con gets tied up to deter suspicion. But he yells about getting someone to hit him so it looks like he’s a victim. One of the demons obliges…by twisting his head off.
- So the shroud changes peoples’ behavior I guess? Angel is getting angry, Wesley is getting stupid, Cordy just seems drunk… Gunn kinda stays the same? For some, it looks like it heightens their emotions. Gunn becomes more angry about his sister. Kate gets more angry about her dad. It’s kinda like the the types of drunks they are. Wes is a stupid drunk. Cordy is a happy drunk and the rest are angry/sad drunks.
- Angel gives another speech to Kate about how she uses her father’s death to be angry with the world. And it would be powerful if it was the first time we’ve heard it, but it’s not.
- And then Angel bites Kate! Oh, I guess it wasn't Darla. Remember when I thought that?
- Next everyone’s gone but Kate and Wesley while the fuzz surround them and I guess arrest Wesley is the assumption.
- The four remaining robbers are back in the warehouse fighting over the shroud.
- And it gets violent. Demon #1 shoots Demon #2. It’s really interesting that a demon uses guns.
- And then there’s the moment where Angel ‘sobers up’ for lack of a better term. He knows what to do with the shroud and he asks Gunn to trust him which he does. Which is why they make good teammates.
- Angel burns up the shroud.
- We’re back in the interrogation room. They’re about to arrest Wesley when Kate, looking drained [literally - Z], opens the door and tells them to let Wes go.
- She flashes back to the moment where Angel bites Kate – but as we know from the past, Angel knows just enough to drink. We see that he whispered to her to stay down or they’ll kill her. She does so.
- So once again, Angel saves Kate’s life. She seems to appreciate it this time by letting Wes go. But will it last?
- As she’s wearing the stolen necklace, Cordy tells Wesley she returned everything she stole. Oops.
NY Times Crossword:
Guys, look at the Times Xword today:
Cordelia, on a museum website: “Don’t they have a section of like, things you want to steal?” Z: D: Z: Zelda: Daniel:
Recurring: Already Famous Person: Generally Known TV Face: Whedonverse Hat Trick: Angel’s Alias: Gunn’s Alias: