- I like the Master when he's whimsical.
- Buffy is better at research than Giles! The world is upside-down! The world is inside-out!
- "He can brood for 40 minutes straight - I've clocked him." - Willow; strangely, NOT about Angel
- Buffy's green print dress is horrifyingly short.
- But then she covers it with a horrifying tiger hoodie:
- The Anointed One rides the Special Bus.
- Clearly, today Cordy doesn't think she's too good for high school boys.
- Giles drinks tea! Because he's British!
- Buffy's outfits are a wreck this episode. Bare-midriff shiny blue tie-dye. And all dresses are just long shirts. My name is Zelda the Prude.
- Where's Harmony? All of Cordy's other cronies are boring and expressionless. And brunettes.
- Owen is excited to go the funeral home - Best Buffy Date Ever or Worst Buffy Date Ever?
- Giles's vague distaste - not shocked, not appalled, just vaguely distasteful - that she brought Owen to SlayerLand. Love.
- Worst barricade ever, Xander and Willow. Also, you forgot about the window into the Vampire Room. Which probably makes it a good thing that it's the worst barricade ever.
- "Did you see that? He tried to bite me! What a sissy." heee
- Aw Buffy. You made an adult decision not to date danger-seeking Owen. It was very sad - even the music agreed. You'll be waaaaaaaaaaaay safer with Angel, babe. Good choice. (cough)
I'd like to take a second of your time to discuss Owen. Because he's so Owen-y. BtVS is good at bringing some characters back and I always sort of wished that Owen was more than a one-off character. Owen seems like a pre-Finn type and I could see him meeting up with Buffy again in college, this time as part of the initiative - maybe to prove to Buffy that he'd be a good asset to her team. (Even though he doesn't know what her team is.) On a much smaller scale, I could have seen him come back for Graduation Day at least. Owen would have been a great asset in that department and yes...probably would have died, too. But that's ok! I also liked the actor tons. In my mind, he wasn't exactly what the casting calls put out. Owen reads as a pre-emo type - dark haired, skinny, brooding. But the actor looks more like a jock type which...I kinda liked. He was playing against type. And his line readings are soooo adorkable! I would have liked to see Owen come back. But...alas.
- It was nice to see Giles training - I believe this is the first time we see him talking about technique.
- The master is scary & funny at the same time. It'll set a precedent for future villains and big bads
- A student in the library to take out a book? What? Love when BtVS makes fun of itself
- Buffy Fashion Faux Pas. Buffy's dress looks like 70s wallpaper
- Worst. Mom. Ever. Joyce is non-existent...not even home to meet her daughter's first date in Sunnydale.
- There is tons of witty banter in this episode, which I love. It's almost non-stop
- The British handle distress with such poise: Giles: Damn.
- This is the first time we see a really nice father/daughter moment with Buffy and Giles. It sets a standard for their future relationship. Until season 7. Stupid season 7....
- Also the start of the Buffy/Cordelia rivalry
Zelda: "All right. I'll just pop into a time machine, go back to the twelfth century, and ask the vampires to postpone their ancient prophecy for a few days while you take in dinner and a show." - Giles
Daniel: "At this point you're abusing sarcasm." - Buffy...in response to Zelda's favorite line :)