"Veronica is hired by a Hearst football player to help him find his stolen playbook before the next practice, or risk losing his scholarship. As a result of the expose Veronica wrote about the campus sorority, Dean O'Dell threatens to expell her if she doesn't reveal one of her sources. Logan tells Veronica his schedule is keeping them apart, but she realizes he has been spending time participating in illegal gambling. Meanwhile, Veronica convinces Keith to hire Weevil to assist with office work at Mars Investigations."
- Football! College!
- Coach acting like a dick.
- “jealous would involve piano wire.”
- Football player is missing something. Could this be a case for Veronica Mars?
- Weevil is still part of this show? Veronica is visiting him at his new job at the car wash.
- She takes a call while she’s talking to him. Rude.
- Piz’s thing is that he’s trying to join a radio station.
- Oh hey, the football player is Armie Hammer!
- So the dean of Neptune University is Ed Begley Jr. Ok
- Aww, Armie Hammer is very pretty but he’s never been a great actor. He’s kinda boring in this…as he is in most things.
- The stare – lol – that worked!
- Oh man – I don’t really remember this – Weevil being Keith’s new ‘secretary’.
- Z and I are both not writing much as we usually do. It’s just not very interesting, right now. [I had to come back weeks after we watched it together, to rewatch it and take new notes. I miss Buffy - Z]
- Aww, but Eli is doing some fine detective work.
- Art student guy. I think what’s getting to me this season is how many stereotypes there are. The militant feminists, the dumb sorority girls, the meathead athletes, the douchey frat guys…
- “I’m an artist.” “So was Hitler.” Jesus, Veronica.
- Veronica finds popcorn in meathead’s bag – so…that incriminates the popcorn guy. Cause…he’s just got…popcorn on him…all the time…stuck to his…sleeve…? What?
- So we see the struggling relationship of the Logan/Veronica relationship– Logan just seems to be getting into the newness of college which means he’s pulling away from Veronica. He loves her but maybe needs some space…but Veronica is getting uncharacteristically jealous. And she traced his phone which is totally uncool.
- Boys of Neptune are really into poker… It’s a recurring activity…
- “The surveillance thing is starting to bug…” Nice pun, Logan.
- Aww, and Veronica is sulkily listening to sulky music cause she’s sad about Logan.
- Weevil’s anger problems got the best of him – and he’s fired from Keith’s office.
- Piz got his show, so that’s cool, I guess.
- So Trish is the culprit – and I guess she’s doing it cause…she loves him? I guess?
- There are too many endings and culprits in this mystery. It’s like a procedural episode.
- Yay, Weevil gets another job. And conveniently it just might help Veronica in future cases.
- I like when Veronica & Logan make up. She’s right – there’s a reason she has trust issues.
- is weightlifting class really a thing?
- bicker bicker bicker
- ARMIE HAMMER. BABY ARMIE HAMMER
- WEEVIL HI WEEVIL WE'VE MISSED YOU
- Weevil plea bargained out of a murder charge for Thumper to assault. So that's something
- And because his asshole boss is also causally racist, Weevil lets his temper show. I just feel so awful about everything that's happened to him
- oh right Piz does radio
- aw man, Ed Begley Jr. Always a delight
- "Mrs. O'Dell was my grad student, back when you could do things like that." wow I just
- and now he's threatening to expel V if she doesn't reveal her sources for the sorority story last week. so that's fun
- I take back what I said about Ed Begley Jr.'s delightfulness
- is Guitar Hero a sponsor? Is that why we have the insightful dialog of "Dude that game rocks." "Yeah it does."
- interesting twist. V refers Weevil to work for her dad: "Eli Navarro, remember?" // "You mean Weevil?"
- "Didn't he get busted for murder?" // "Assault." // "See, so he's not even a very good murderer."
- I don't super love how this show portrays the women trying to fight the, you know, systemic rape culture (to say nothing of the serial rapist for this season) as overly militant Angry Women tropes. It's a weird tonal dissonance, particularly with a show that had its protagonist raped in the pilot. You can say it doesn't age well, especially with the current #MeToo movement, but it left a bad taste in the mouth back then too. (at least it's not acting like the dipshit satirists are in the right either. they're just morons)
- it's a weird thing the show hits, with the LoVe ship this season: we've gotten past all the drama of high school, Logan's probably not going to be convincingly wearing the Villain Hat again, and the chemistry between the two is undeniable. So we're upping V's distrustful nature (which, yes, has always been there, but this is a step backward in her development) to build up tension between the two of them, and give them an excuse to break up later in the season. and I dunno, it feels inorganic.
- Wow, so that throwaway moment of V looking for Mac and not being able to find her is the excuse for not having her in the episode this week.
- awwww Keith likes Weevil's detectiving. He's got his know-how and it's kind of awesome.
- also wtf to V's "So was Hitler" exit line
- oh joy, Mercer Hayes has entered the show
- and they tip us off almost immediately that he's a tool when he makes fun of the dude with a stutter
- aw damn, Weevil fucked up his second assignment from Keith, beating up a child abuser, and getting Keith fired from that particular job
- aw and Weevil trying to be strong and hide how gutted he is: "I get it. I'd fire me. Man, I just ... I really dug this stuff, you know. I actually thought I was okay at it."
- Weevil: "The Dean's a pal of yours? You actually made friends with somebody?" // V: "Actually he wants me expelled." // W: "That sounds more like it."
- Oh dang, V tells O'Dell she got his car fixed for free. But she told Weevil it was a $2k job. So she paid Weevil?
- And Claire ("the blonde in the middle") was raped
- "Is this the help desk? Cuz I need a little help." // "Let me guess, you have this pathologically suspicious girlfriend, and you hope maybe there's a guidebook?" // "No, it's more like, uh ... what's beyond pathological?" ... and V apologizes. I don't love this saga, but Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring are acting the hell out of this scene.
Daniel: “I don’t understand boys. Or football.” - Trish
Zelda: Keith, holding out a camera; "You familiar with these things?" // Weevil: "Yeah, toasters, right?"
Neptune Roll Call: Logan, Dick, Piz, Weevil (Absent: Wallace, Parker, Mac, Sheriff Don Lamb)
First Appearance: Mercer Hayes, Trish, Claire Nordhouse, Dean Cyrus O'Dell
Recurring: Nish Sweeney, Fern Delgado
Future Famous Person: Armie Hammer
Generally Known TV Face: Lindsey McKeon, Ed Begley, Jr.
Veronica's Alias: athlete looking for a trainer, sorority hazee
Dead Humans - 0
Backup Sighting - 0
Veronica Breaks In - 0
Veronica Tases Someone - 0
Mac Hacks - 0
Who's Your Daddy? - 0
Wallace Does Veronica a Favor - 0
Veronica Wants a Pony - 0
Logan Punches Someone - 0
Dick's Single Entendres - 0
Shenanigans Called - 0
VERONICA WAS RIGHT - 0
VERONICA WAS WRONG - 0